Shielder

by Catherine Spangler

Series: Shielder (1)

Considered an outcast by her people, Nessa dan Ranuls discovers a plot to destroy her race and journeys to the farthest reaches of space to save them, but she encounters sexy bounty hunter Chase McKnight who captures her body and soul. Original.

It starts out with Nessa, who has always felt less worthy in the eyes of her parents and the rest of the colony. Apart from her brother Jarek, whom she loves dearly she feels like a prisoner. She aches to get out there, and experience new things and make a difference. She volunteers for a mission where she would be injected with the Orana Virus. Where she could serve a purpose for her people and colony, even if it means her death. She wants to be remembered and do something her colony and her parents would be proud of. Jarek protests of course, since he is the only one that truly cares about her; but she goes ahead with it. This is a vital mission, since this virus has infected many, and they must test it so they can find a vaccine. She is put on a ship headed for Sonoma. On the way however, her ship very old gives out, and she is adrift in space.
Chase McKnight, is a controller who has rights in this part of space, and takes her on to his. Also along with her beloved pet, Turi. Who has been a friend to her when she had very few. Chase beams her on board of his ship, very reluctantly and is willing to take her to Sonoma but tells her it will take a week, and she has a month to get there, or she will die with no purpose. Chase is a bounty hunter of Shielders(which is what Nessa is and she knows that she has to withhold it from him. Therefore their journey begins, and as their relationship deepens and their feelings develop; but Chase is denying it to himself. They both know that there is no way for them to fall in love. But one thing happens after another, and they find it helpless to resist against each other and their tender feelings for one another.

This is the first book that I have read from Catherine Spangler, and I absolutely loved this story. It is filled with passion, adventure, mystery, wit and suspense. The humor in this book, is the best, I was laughing all through the book. I found Nessa to be driven young woman, to do anything to reach Sonoma, and her attempts to run away from Chase thoroughly amused me. I was always asking myself Now what is she going to end up doing next? She never ceases to amaze me, I have to say I was never bored while reading this one. Although there were moments that I got confused, for the most part it was a astounding read, that I thoroughly enjoyed! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 20, 2019 |
Sci Fi Romance. Shielder 1. The controllers have engineered a virus to kill Shielders. In hope of a cure, Nessa must host the deadly virus past Controller checkpoints to a medical lab on the planet Santerra. Her ship breaks down and a bounty hunter shadower Chase finds her. OK-
  C4RO | Jun 1, 2015 |
This had been in my TBR pile for a long time. It had been recommended to me, but for some reason, I was dubious about trying it. Maybe it was the cover that scared me away. I have no idea what that cover is supposed to depict. I don't remember any tropical islands in the story...

Shielder is set in a futuristic world. Nessa is a Shielder, a race that's been persecuted and hunted by Controllers, who have all the power. Shielders are thus relegated to resource-poor areas and barely survive. And now her colony's existence is threatened by a deadly virus. Their only hope is to get the virus to scientists on another, more prosperous Shielder colony to develop a cure, and the only sure way of doing that is in a Shielder host.

Which is where Nessa comes in. Prone to seizures, she's defective, and should have been euthanized, rather than consuming scarce resources without contributing. Being the virus's host is her once chance to be useful. So she sets off in a decrepit ship, which promptly breaks down, and she's rescued by, of all things, a Shadower, a bounty hunter, Chase McKnight. And one of the main things the Shadowers hunt is Shielders.

Chase has his own reasons for becoming a Shadower, and he and Nessa guard their secrets, even as they're becoming closer.

It's not just the typical story of nominal enemies getting to know each other and falling in love, though. Nessa's mission, and her bone-deep belief in her inferiority keep her from trusting even when she'd want to, and Chase's past makes him view her actions in the worst possible light.

It's unusual to have a romance heroine with such a complete lack of self-esteem, and Nessa does take some getting used to. It makes perfect sense, though, with her upbringing, and it would have been too simplistic to have her be certain of her own worth when her entire life she's been made to feel guilty for even existing.

And there's the evil villain to defeat, and some truly engaging secondary characters, including cute alien pets, and a lovely secondary romance as well.

I'm very glad I read this--thanks to whoever recommended it so long ago. I'll be looking for the next one. ( )
  Darla | Nov 19, 2008 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,134,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible