Street of the Five Moons (1978)

by Elizabeth Peters

Series: Vicky Bliss (2)

The smartest and sexiest sleuth around is Vicky Bliss. In the sunsplashed streets or moonlit courtyards of Rome, Vicky is out to uncover a true geius and master art thief. Someone is creating the most beautiful jewels and replacing the real ones. Debauched nobles and majestic villas, charming thieves and startling murders, and that all too charming Sir John Smythe- Vicky's got her hands full.… (more)
    Double Shot [UK] by Anna Blundy (faither)
    faither: Similar writing style and voice with both these series. Also both take place in Italy.
    Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn (faither)
    faither: Although not set in nearly the same time period (1970s-ish and mid-1800s), Vicky Bliss and Lady Julia Gray are similar heroes. Witty, stubborn and intelligent if they were contemporaries, I'd like to think they would be partners.

Another caper featuring Vicky Bliss. After the events of the previous book, Vicky managed to get at job at the National Museum in Munich; the jolly gent turned out to be the director. An unidentified corpse turns up in a Munich alley - the only clue to his identity is the Charlemagne Talisman in a hidden pocket. Checks prove the jewel to be an extremely good copy - too good to be true.

After going through some odd bits from his pockets, Vicky discovers another clue which leads to Rome and a forgery gang. Here she meets Sir John Smythe, who is working for the forgers, and is a very attractive man.

Another fun read from the pen of the late Elizabeth Peters. Recommended.
  Maddz | Apr 28, 2019 |
I really liked this one. The first book seemed like it dragged on and on at the beginning. This book was written much better. You can tell Peters is improving. I really love the characters in this series and the humor and action. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
The second book in the Vicky Bliss series, this story just keeps moving. I can't help but like Vicky and John Smythe is a welcome foil for her. Rollicking fun! ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Oct 31, 2015 |
A quick and fun read. ( )
  Aelianna | Jun 5, 2013 |
Listened to the Recorded Books cassette edition. John Smythe makes a much better foil for Vicky than the guys in the previous outing. I gather he shows up throughout the rest of the series to which I give a yay! Still comes across a little dated but lots of fun anyway. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |

Elizabeth Petersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turner, KathleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sara and Dave
and all the other Davidsons
with love
I was sitting at my desk doing my nails when the door opened and the spy sneaked in.
"My hero," I said. "I have misjudged you. I am abject. I grovel. And of course my girlish heart is palpitating with rapture because you risked your life--"
The wineglass splashed against the wall with a musical tinkle, and Smythe, turning, threw his arms around me and yanked me up against his chest with a force that drove the wind out of my lungs.
"Will he kiss her or kill her?" I gasped. "Tune in tomorrow and hear the next--"
Smythe's face broke up. He began to laugh.
I am by nature an optimistic person. But during those minutes in the mud and the dark, alone with a man who was quietly bleeding to death on my lap, with a mob of murderous brutes scouring the fields to find us . . . I was depressed.
I had to admire his well-developed sense of self-preservation, which was uncluttered by any taint of old-fashioned chivalry.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,843,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible