Silent in the Grave

by Deanna Raybourn

Series: Lady Julia Grey (1)

Let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave. These ominous words, slashed from the pages of a book of Psalms, are the last threat that the darling of London society, Sir Edward Grey, receives from his killer. Before he can show them to Nicholas Brisbane, the private inquiry agent he has retained for his protection, Sir Edward collapses and dies at his London home, in the presence of his wife, Julia, and a roomful of dinner guests. Prepared to accept that Edward's death was due to a long-standing physical infirmity, Julia is outraged when Brisbane visits and suggests that Sir Edward has been murdered. It is a reaction she comes to regret when she discovers the damning paper for herself, and realizes the truth. Determined to bring her husband's murderer to justice, Julia engages the enigmatic Brisbane to help her investigate Edward's demise. Dismissing his warnings that the investigation will be difficult, if not impossible, Julia presses forward, following a trail of clues that lead her to even more unpleasant truths, and ever closer to a killer who waits expectantly for her arrival.… (more)
Recently added byRennie80, Rpanico, CDVicarage, aini72
    Street of the Five Moons by Elizabeth Peters (faither)
    faither: Although not set in nearly the same time period (1970s-ish and mid-1800s), Vicky Bliss and Lady Julia Gray are similar heroes. Witty, stubborn and intelligent if they were contemporaries, I'd like to think they would be partners.
    Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (aseaver)
    aseaver: If you liked the Lady Julia Grey mysteries, give Amelia Peabody a try. The quaint Victorian time frame, the interesting plot lines, even the slightly zany and varied secondary cast, all combine for a consistently great read.
    The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry (readr)
    readr: Same kind of headstrong female character set in 19th century England, a creepy mystery, and some romance.
    Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas (lindymc)
    lindymc: Another well-developed mystery set in London, England in the late 1880's.
    A Famine of Horses by P.F. Chisholm (lindymc)
    lindymc: The first of a delightful historical mystery series featuring Sir Robert Carey (nephew of Queen Elizabeth I), set along the English/Scottish border.

The opening sentence, which is quoted in the blurb:
'To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband’s dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor.'
was what interested me. It is a good start but it only goes downhill from there.
The behaviour of the characters is not of the time and, although it is set in England, the language is American. At first I was able to ignore it but it just became more and more obtrusive: no-one in the book died, only passed. (Passed what? 'Go', a kidney stone, their neighbour in the street?)
I'm disappointed as this was the first in a series, which I shall not continue. ( )
  CDVicarage | Aug 31, 2021 |
I really enjoyed the audio version of this book as it brings a whole new side to the story. I highly recommend it. ( )
  debbiedd24 | Jul 21, 2021 |
I'm binge-reading my way through the "Smart Bitches Trashy Books" blog archive, and this was a highly recommended mystery series. I picked up the ebook bundle from my local library and gave it a try -- so far, I'm finding the heroine to be insipid and self-centered. And yet! I'm still reading!

resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
This was a fairly enjoyable read, although I found it dragged in places, and it was one of those novels where the characters go to great lengths never to have a frank conversation with one another. I enjoyed the humorous tone, and I liked Julia and Nicholas, but I don't think I'll continue with this series. ( )
  pgchuis | May 21, 2020 |
Stopped at 35%-- the heroine's combination of ignorance/naivete, arrogance, and total unawareness of her own privilege were just too offputting.
  being_b | Jan 8, 2020 |
Book to be savored, yet devoured in one sitting.

Deanna Raybournprimary authorall editionscalculated
Archer, EllenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

This book is dedicated to the memory of my grandmother, Patricia Nile Russell, and my grandfather, John Lucas Jones, Jr.
To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate.
Let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave.

Deanna Raybourn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,193,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible