Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn

Silent in the Grave

by Deanna Raybourn

Series: Lady Julia Grey (1)

Recently added byrena75, althaeria, private library, TVNerd95, stefsia0505
    Street of the Five Moons by Elizabeth Peters (faither)
    faither: Although not set in nearly the same time period (1970s-ish and mid-1800s), Vicky Bliss and Lady Julia Gray are similar heroes. Witty, stubborn and intelligent if they were contemporaries, I'd like to think they would be partners.
    Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (aseaver)
    aseaver: If you liked the Lady Julia Grey mysteries, give Amelia Peabody a try. The quaint Victorian time frame, the interesting plot lines, even the slightly zany and varied secondary cast, all combine for a consistently great read.
    The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry (readr)
    readr: Same kind of headstrong female character set in 19th century England, a creepy mystery, and some romance.
    Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas (lindymc)
    lindymc: Another well-developed mystery set in London, England in the late 1880's.
    A Famine of Horses by P.F. Chisholm (lindymc)
    lindymc: The first of a delightful historical mystery series featuring Sir Robert Carey (nephew of Queen Elizabeth I), set along the English/Scottish border.

I stumbled across this book in our local used book store and could not be more pleased at this find. Found myself up late, reading to finish it. The writing was excellent and the historical facts accurate. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series and wonder what Lady Jane will get up to next. ( )
  DebraParmley | Dec 29, 2018 |
This is the first book in the Lady Julia Grey Mysteries. This was a good read and I enjoyed it, nothing really all that special here but decently done. This book was a Victorian mystery with a hint of romance. It was decently written but got a bit long at points and was a bit predictable.

I listened to the Audiobook and the narration was very well done. Archer got all the accents right and did an excellent job overall. I would recommend listening to this on audible if you like audiobooks.

I enjoyed the mystery and how Lady Julia slowly learned to enjoy her independence after her husband died. I did feel like parts of the book were pretty slow. The mystery involved a lot of secret societies, brothels, and poisons. Nothing supernatural really in this series just good ole’ Victorian mystery.

Overall I enjoyed this book but wasn't intrigued enough by the characters to continue the series. If you enjoy Victorian mysteries, this one was well done and entertaining. However I prefer my Victorian novels to have a bit of fantasy, supernatural, or paranormal in them. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 7, 2018 |
When Lady Julia Grey's husband collapses in front of her and dies a few hours later, it's not exactly unexpected: Sir Edward had a congenital heart condition, and his father and grandfather both died before the age of 35. So why does the enigmatic Nicholas Brisbane think Edward was murdered? Julia isn't willing to even consider such a thing . . . until, while cleaning out Edward's desk, she discovers a threatening letter he received just before his death. Who would want to kill her charming, urbane husband -- and why?

Oh, I so enjoyed this book! Much more for the characters and setting than the actual mystery -- though I am pleased to note that I was correct about who did it, though I had the motive wrong. Recommended to readers who enjoy historical fiction with unconventional characters. Also, the first two lines are just hilarious. ( )
  foggidawn | Jun 20, 2018 |
Silent in the Grave
4 Stars

Lady Julia Grey is not surprised when her ailing husband dies until private inquiry agent, Nicholas Brisbane, approaches her with the claim that her husband was murdered. Disbelieving at first, Julia soon comes to realize that there is more to Edward Grey’s death than meets the eye and something sinister is afoot right under her very nose.

A well written historical mystery with an intriguing if rather unoriginal plot, compelling characters and detailed historical background focusing on the social mores and customs of Victorian England.

The whodunit develops slowly, but there are sufficient red-herrings to keep you guessing, and the villain and motivation are quite interesting especially considering the time period.

Like the mystery, Julia and Brisbane's romance is slow to build. Their love/hate relationship has definite potential and their chemistry simmers just beneath the surface, but nothing actually comes of it and this is disappointing.

Julia and Nicolas fare better as individuals. She is sensible and pragmatic albeit a little snooty at times, and he very enigmatic with his dark and brooding mien and secretive nature. A comparison with Sherlock Holmes is inevitable (expert violinist, absinth addiction, chemical experiments and mood swings), but this is not a drawback for me. The one thing that does grate is the inclusion of his psychic ability, which adds nothing to his characterization.

Julia’s quirky family is not consistent with the Victorian setting although they are very endearing and add an entertaining comic relief to the story.

Ellen Archer’s narration is good with the appropriate accents and inflection. If there were one thing I would change it would be the first person perspective, which is limiting for a mystery and prevents the reader from accessing Brisbane’s POV.

Overall, an enjoyable story and I'm looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
A very enjoyable read. Lady Julia Grey comes from a large family of eccentric aristocrats in late 19th Century England. Her marriage leaves a lot to be wished for and she yearns for a larger life and a greater love. The death of her husband under mysterious circumstances draws her into the orbit of the fascinating investigator Nicolas Brisbane and a sleuthing role in the discovery of the solution of the mystery. ( )
  gbelik | May 7, 2018 |
Book to be savored, yet devoured in one sitting.

Deanna Raybournprimary authorall editionscalculated
Archer, EllenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the memory of my grandmother, Patricia Nile Russell, and my grandfather, John Lucas Jones, Jr.
To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate.
Let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778325245, Mass Market Paperback)

"Let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave."

Prepared to accept that Edward's death was due to a longstanding physical infirmity, Julia is outraged when Brisbane visits and suggests that Sir Edward has been murdered. It is a reaction she comes to regret when she discovers the damning paper for herself, and realizes the truth.

Determined to bring her husband's murderer to justice, Julia engages the enigmatic Brisbane to help her investigate Edward's demise. Dismissing his warnings that the investigation will be difficult, if not impossible, Julia presses forward, following a trail of clues that lead her to even more unpleasant truths, and ever closer to a killer who waits expectantly for her arrival.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

"These ominous words, slashed from the pages of a book of Psalms, are the last threat that the darling of London society, Sir Edward Grey, receives from his killer. Before he can show them to Nicholas Brisbane, the private inquiry agent he has retained for his protection, Sir Edward collapses and dies at his London home, in the presence of his wife, Julia, and a roomful of dinner guests. Prepared to accept that Edward's death was due to a long-standing physical infirmity, Julia is outraged when Brisbane visits and suggests that Sir Edward has been murdered. It is a reaction she comes to regret when she discovers the damning paper for herself, and realizes the truth"--Book description.… (more)

Deanna Raybourn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,430,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible