The Red Necklace (2007)

by Sally Gardner

Series: The Red Necklace (1)

In the late eighteenth-century, Sido, the twelve-year-old daughter of a self-indulgent marquis, and Yann, a fourteen-year-old Gypsy orphan raised to perform in a magic show, face a common enemy at the start of the French Revolution.
    Sovay by Celia Rees (megan003, rebecca191)
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: The Scarlet Pimpernel is a (rather slower-paced) adventure series set during the French Revolution. An English spy (one presumes) known as the Scarlet Pimpernel helps break into French jails and spirit aristocratic families away from the bloodthirsty revolutionary mob. Those who enjoyed the build-up to whether Sido would escape may enjoy The Scarlet Pimpernel.… (more)

English (42)  Dutch (1)  All languages (43)
I really liked this. Kind of a surprise, since I started listening mostly because it was read by Tom Hiddleston. And that is partly why I liked it so much. With that voice he could read a phone book and I would find it interesting... But I actually found the story interesting too. I would've read this as a book too. But, nice to have a story while sewing. ( )
  RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |
Interesting premise, but too much of a remake of the Scarlet Pimpernel with super powers. The Scarlet Pimperne ( )
  DelightedLibrarian | Jan 2, 2018 |
For a YA novel, this one has a little bit of everything: history, romance, mystery, secrets and magic. Using the lead up to the French Revolution as a basis, Gardner's story has a few unique focuses: a Romany gypsy angle and a sprinkling of magical realism. While the character development isn't all that amazing - I had to remind myself that the book was written with a much younger audience in mind! - I did enjoy the 1780's European setting of Paris and London and the automatons. I found the descriptions of the Paris massacres to paint a rather disturbing mental picture for me, which has me worried as to how a younger reader may react when reading this story.

Overall, a different take on an area of French history that has been the focus of many other books. While a bit far-fetched at time, Gardner's story does provide for a decent YA version of Dickens' sweeping story, A Tale of Two Cities. ( )
  lkernagh | Jul 23, 2017 |
Very good! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Narrated by Carrington MacDuffie. Dwarves, gypsies, automatons, intrigue, greedy nobility, rebellion, murder, threads of light...and a dash of romance. What more could you ask of a book to take you away? Excellent voicework adds plenty of atmosphere to the intrigue of the revolution. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 3, 2016 |

Set during the French Revolution, Gardner's epic and tautly plotted tale engages readers from the start with its combination of romance and history, mystery and magic. Yann Magoza, an orphan, travels with entertainers who use supernatural powers in their act. As the novel opens, Yann and his companions are brought to a marquis's chateau, where Yann has a brief but fateful meeting with the foolish and cruel marquis's brave daughter, Sidonie, and where the marquis's associate, a scheming count, brutally but cleverly murders one of the magicians. The pace retains this thrilling momentum all the way through the heart-stopping climax. The novel paints vivid, convincing pictures of the Revolution: characters glimpse the massed thousands of Parisian women marching to Versailles, pitchforks in hand, demanding bread, and mobs setting upon suspected aristocrats. Suspenseful, complex and haunting
added by kthomp25 | editPublishers Weekly Reviews

Sally Gardnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hiddleston, TomReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macduffie, CarringtonReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Putler, AndrewAuthor photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veldkamp, TjitskeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To Weavel

my darling brother Stephen, the first person I ever told my stories to.

This is for you. I hope you enjoy it.

With all my love

Turtle
This is Paris; here the winds of change are blowing, whispering their discontent into the very hearts of her citizens.
Chapter One: Here, then, is where our story starts, in a run-down theater on the rue du Temple, with a boy called Yann Margoza, who was born with a gift for knowing what people wre thinking, and an uncanny ability to throw his voice.

Sally Gardner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,708,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible