Ready... Set... Read!: The Beginning Reader's Treasury

by Joanna Cole (Editor), Stephanie Calmenson (Editor)

Other authors: Anne Burgess (Illustrator)

A collection of stories, poems, and non-fiction for beginning readers, by such authors as Dr. Seuss, Else Minarik, and Arnold Lobel.

Created especially for children who are learning to read, this anthology contains renowned works featuring some of the best-loved characters in children's literature, including Else Holmelund Minarik and Maurice Sendak's Little Bear, Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad, and the madcap creations of Dr. Seuss. Also included is poetry by Eve Merriam, Lilian Moore, and Gwendolyn Brooks, as well as stories, poems, riddles, and word games.
  PlumfieldCH | Sep 22, 2023 |
While this is quite a bit below my son's reading level, the humor is right on for a five year old. He really enjoyed it and ended up reading some bits over and over, such as the Morris story and the riddles. This is excellent reading material for beginning readers. ( )
  Fjola | Apr 23, 2015 |
Summary: This is about a kid named Jonathan who knew the answer to the question that the teacher asked, and he was the first one with his hand up. But the teacher picked on other people first who didn't know the answer. Then finally when he was picked to answer the question he forgot what the teacher asked.

Personal Reaction: This was my favourite poem from this book because it brought back a whole lot of memories from school. I use to know answers to question and then when I was finally picked I ended up being like that kid who forgot. I thought this poem was really funny.

Classroom Extension: You could use this poem to get students inspired to write poems about some of their experiences in school. The teacher could also use this poem as an introduction to poetry in the class.
  Jenuhsis | Oct 26, 2012 |

Cole, JoannaEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Calmenson, StephanieEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Burgess, AnneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,238,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible