Night Watch (2002)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld: City Watch (6), Discworld (29)

Sam Vimes can't tell what kind of day he's having. One moment he's fighting a ruthless murderer on top of the library of the Unseen University. The next, he's thrown back in time. But, the city's on the brink of revolt, and that killer he was after in the future is with him here in the past, which is now the present. Now all Vimes has to do is figure out how to get back home--but first he has to change the outcome of a bloody rebellion.… (more)

English (134)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Tagalog (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (144)
Quite good; trouble is, one is used to expect a Discworld novel to be even funnier than this one. ( )
  Stravaiger64 | Jun 6, 2021 |
Carcer and lilacs. Makes me cry when I start it. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
STARTS TO SCREAM AND DOESN'T STOP

This book was EVERYTHING if you, like me, have been reading The Watch books and have fallen in love with everyone and then THE TIME TRAVEL PARTY TIMES OF SEEING BABY EVERYONE.

But it was also like. The narratives Pratchett tries to tell about human "nature" through the Watch books are not ones I necessarily agree with--I have way more hope about humanity than he-as-Vimes does--but here we seem to settle on a common ground around mutual aid, where people of a vast variety of political stances can still come together and take care of one another. And how even Vimes who doesn't believe in a larger good of humanity (specifically human here) can participate (you don't have to like people to work for liberation!) and protect one another and also just. I WEEP.

Also it was SO TENSE THE WHOLE TIME Sir Terry really went "we shall now give you LOTS OF THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT AT ONCE" and just loaded it all up from basically minute one? But the ending is so satisfying and good and nnngh I loved this book, no reservations, no weird racism... just so much love. Bless this book. A real delight. ( )
  aijmiller | Mar 4, 2021 |
Absolutely the best of the Discworld books I've read (so far...), with thrilling action, a refreshing change of pace for the Watch books, and completely un-put-down-able. Highest recommendation! ( )
  unsquare | Feb 16, 2021 |
"It takes a thousand steps to get to the top of a mountain but one little hop'll take you all the way back to the bottom." Qu to Sam Vines in Night Watch ( )
  lynnbyrdcpa | Dec 7, 2020 |
A fine place to start reading Pratchett if you don't mind a few ''in'' jokes, ''Night Watch'' transcends standard genre fare with its sheer schoolboy humor and characters who reject their own stereotypes.

What makes the book intriguing is Pratchett's Chestertonian common-sense morality. While his blunt logic doesn't always equip him to deal with the niceties (at one point, he seems to argue against any controls on gun ownership), it allows him to break through liberal confusions and conservative certainties.
added by melmore | editThe Independent, Robert Hank (Nov 29, 2002)

Not a side-splitter this time, though broadly amusing and bubbling with wit and wisdom: both an excellent story and a tribute to beat cops everywhere, doing their hair-raising jobs with quiet courage and determination.
added by melmore | editKirkus Review (Nov 12, 2002)

Stories both trap people in a continuum and console them with images of beginnings and ends. Pratchett is a master storyteller.
added by Shortride | editThe Guardian, A. S. Byatt (Nov 9, 2002)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Briggs, StephenMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
de Vicq de Cumptich, RobertoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RobinPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orosz, IstvanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rijn, Rembrandt vanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sam Vimes sighed when he heard the scream, but he finished shaving before he did anything about it.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

-- Detritus learns about weapons safety (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
'It's not me, you understand,' said Vimes, 'but if I went back
and showed my captain this piece of paper and he said to me,
Vi- Keel, how d'you know he's Henry the Hamster, well, I'd be a
bit... flummoxed. Maybe even perplexed.'

-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
Maybe the best way to build a bright new world is to peel some spuds in this one.
'One's got a lot of holes in his feet, one dropped through the privy roof and has got a twisted leg, and one's dead.'

'I don't think I can do much about the dead one' said the doctor. 'How do you know he's dead? I realize I might regret asking that question.'

'He's got a broken neck from falling off a roof and I reckon he fell off because he got a steel crossbow bolt in his brain.'

'Ah. That sounds like dead, if you want my medical opinion.'

(Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch had it all.

But now he's back in his own rough, tough past without even the clothes he was standing up in when the lightning struck...

Living in the past is hard. Dying in the past is incredibly easy. But he must survive, because he has a job to do. He must track down a murderer, teach his younger self how to be a good copper and change the outcome of a bloody rebellion.

There's a problem: if he wins, he's got no wife, no child, no future...

A Discworld Tale of One City, with a full chorus of street urchins, ladies of negotiable affection, rebels, secret policemen and other children of the revolution.

Truth! Justice! Freedom! And a Hard-boiled Egg!
When the lilacs bloom,
Vimes must do it all again.
Can he do it right?

(espadrile)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,967,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible