Fascinating Womanhood by Helen Andelin

Fascinating Womanhood

by Helen Andelin

Despite the low rating I give it, I actually recommend everyone read this at some point. Partly because some of the ideas are a little on the ridiculous side (like taking cues from how small children behave as a way to act angry or get what you want), and partly to demonstrate why we (and I say this in a general all human sense) need feminism. Putting the onus of being the breadwinner & doing the finances on the guy while leaving all of the homemaking & childrearing to the woman may work for some but it's definitely not the ideal that will work for everyone.

Helen Andelin also says in a later chapter that women in the workforce are the root of most of modern society's ills- divorce, broken homes, etc. and that sexual immorality (which includes adultery but also premarital sex and homosexuality) was the cause for the fall of nations (citing the Roman Empire, Damascus, etc.)

Weirdly enough, I know people who would probably enjoy this book in a nonironic way and agree with the importance of maintaining gender roles- likely because those individuals and the author are both Mormon (which is likely why the phrase 'Celestial Marriage' pops up periodically)

As a woman who kills her own snakes (not really sure why that phrase was used to symbolize independent woman, but oh well), this book made me either chuckle or chuck it across the room, depending on where I was. There are a few good points, such as building a worthy character by seeing the good in others, but it is vastly outweighed by outdated, sexist views. If masculinity is so strong, why does it need to be coddled? That's the biggest point I don't understand about practicing Fascinating Womanhood, but now I'm kind of rambling.

Again, I encourage everyone read it at some point. It's actually still in print, but with over 2 million copies sold there's bound to be quite a few circulating used so you don't actually have to support it. ( )
  Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
This was a DREADFUL book. While there was some legitimate and sound advice, it was bare scraps afloat in a sea of detrimental ideas and inane drivel. Advice on how to be a good wife is interspaced with testimonials how well this advice worked. Within a few pages, I was appalled and disgusted by Andelin's advice. Her ideas encourage women, already weak in this area, to make men the center of their world, vision, mind - to replace God with their husband.
It is commendable to remember we, as Christians, are called to serve one another - thus a wife is to serve her husband. But this book encourages an unhealthy obsession with the husband, in turn encouraging the husband to developed an unhealthy pride and self-centeredness. I also objected to the advice that encouraged woman to ignore bad behavior or questionable morals in the husband. This reminds me of For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhahn -another book of dreadful advice. Both books advocate never making the man "feel bad" - which sounds good until you realize it means the man should never feel bad about his actions - any action. And that's not Godly.
Marriage is a partnership, a sharing, a giving to each other - and recognizing your mistakes (which often involves feeling bad) is a vital part! Neither of these books every speak of how to handle a husband who doesn't admit his bad actions.
My other issue is advice that is encourages manipulative, childish and conniving behavior. Why would you direct women to play more mind games, to be more scheming and cunning or to be more devious? Absurd. Andelin seems to think it is impossible to be direct and feminine, and encouraged manipulation instead of honesty.
Advocates of FW laud the principles set out - and if the goal is to make your husband the center of your universe and lose oneself completely in abject slavery - then by all means, listen to this blather. These advocates will say anyone who doesn't like this book has lost the true meaning of womanhood and femininity. I say to tell me a true woman only does or does not [insert pet character trait] is no better then a bra-burning feminist or a patriarchal moron telling me that. I look to God for who I am - not some foolish hooey.
I do not recommend this book to anyone. at all. ever. ( )
  empress8411 | Jan 21, 2014 |
Written in the early '60s, Fascinating Womanhood is both of its time and timeless. A self-help book written for women who wish to learn how to "awaken a man's deepest love and tenderness". Certainly some of the advice will be off-putting for some of today's liberated ladies and the author does at times refer to Bible passages, but if one can put aside a knee-jerk reaction to disdain the entirety of this treatise for the few outdated flaws it may be burdened with, a great deal of reinforcement and validation for elegant femininity can be gleaned from these pages.

On a personal note and as testimony for the qualities of the information in this book, I would like to add that I myself am not Christian, therefore my admiration for its content are wholly based on the efficacy of the advice I have put into practice in my own day-to-day life. ( )
  MadameJarrin | Mar 6, 2011 |
I've just remembered how good this book is. I read it when I was eighteen or nineteen years old. Now my daughters are discovering the complexities of marrieage relationships. Things seem not so simple in today's world, but it needs to be. While most will find the advice old-fashioned and maybe oppressive, it really, really isn't. Women today who are striving to find their identity and purpose in marriage would do well to find this book and read it with an open mind. ( )
  justmeRosalie | Sep 25, 2008 |
This is one fascinating book! It has changed so many marriages. My number 1 book to recommend to married women.
  HiddenInChrist | Oct 9, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055329220X, Mass Market Paperback)

How to Make Your Marriage a Lifelong Love Affair

What makes a woman fascinating to her husband? What is happiness in marriage for a woman? These are just two of the questions Helen B. Andelin answers in the bestselling classic that has already brought new happiness and life to millions of marriages.

Fascinating Womanhood offers timeless wisdom, practical advice, and old-fashioned values to meet the needs and challenges of today’s fascinating woman. Inside you’ll learn:

∑ What traits today’s men find irresistible in a woman
∑ How to awaken a man’s deepest feelings of love
∑ Eight rules for a successful relationship
∑ How to rekindle your love life
∑ How to bring out the best in your man—and reap the rewards
∑ Plus special advice for the working woman—and much more!

Fascinating Womanhood offers guidance for a new generation of women—happy, fulfilled, adored and cherished—who want to rediscover the magic of their own feminine selves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:37 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,616,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible