Journey For Our Time: The Journals of the…

Journey For Our Time: The Journals of the Marquis de Custine Russia 1839 (1843)

by Astolphe de Custine

451384,389 (4)None

With an introduction by Simon Sebag Montefiore.

The De Custine family was victim of the French Revolution. In his Foreword the Marquis tells:
"I went to Russia in search of arguments against representative government. I returned from Russia a partisan of constitutions"
The journal was put on the black list of forbidden publications by the Soviets.
  marieke54 | Mar 14, 2009 |

Astolphe de Custineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smith, Walter BedellIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The love of their country is with them only a mode of flattering its master; as soon as they think that master can no longer hear, they speak of everything with a frankness which is the more startling because those who listen to it become responsible.
A multitude of little superfluous precautions engender here a population of deputies and sub-officials, each of whom acquits himself with an air of importance and a rigorous precision, which seemed to say, though everything is done with much silence, ''Make way, I am one of the members of the grand machine of state.''
"I came here to see a country, but what I find is a theater... The name are the same as everywhere else... In appearances everything happens as it does everywhere else. There is no difference except in the very foundation of things."

Blacklisted by the Soviets, these journals have long been recognized for offering the most fascinating and revealing impression of the country by a foreigner. The Marquis' writings abound in observations on Russia's social, political, and religious states--leading Custine to dire forebodings. "he...records the...jokes, complains, anecdotes of innkeepers, princelings, engineers and customs officials...we accompany him on a journey of exploration in more ways than one, and he is always good company."--Roy Foster.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,456,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible