Lonely Planet Italy by Damien Simonis
399None26,860 (3.74)2
(2) Amazon (2) art (2) Bologna (2) Bolonya (2) Box (2) Calibre (2) Europe (16) Florence (1) guide (7) guidebook (19) guies turístiques (2) Italian (2) Italy (100) J's (1) lonelyplanet (23) map (1) mooched (1) non-fiction (35) non-fiction: travel (2) own (4) owned (2) read (2) reference (10) Rome (3) travel (122) Travel - Italy (2) travel guide (24) travels (4) vacation (1)

If the city-focused travel guide books are considered novels, one should view Lonely Planet's "Italy" book as a collection of short stories. Over 900 pages of short stories. The book, like all of the Lonely Planet offerings, is beautifully laid out with bright and bold colors, clear organizational elements, and a wonderful multitude of clearly labelled and easily understood maps.

What the book lacks, however, is any real depth. Every element allows the reader to dip his prospectively traveling toe in only the shallowest of Italian waters. I kept wanting more, but I think that's what the city-specific books are for.

My family of five is planning a trip to Italy. We'll be hitting the biggies of Rome, Florence and Venice. This Lonely Planet "Italy" offering will be perfect for creating the outline of our activities. Since we're visiting multiple cities, we'll be able to use this as our 40,000-foot view of Italy and the specific cities we plan to visit. The core of our trip, however, will be guided by the city guides.

The book contains the requisite recommended itineraries of different lengths, and has a plethora of small 'top lists' focused on food, shopping, activities in each location.

I received this book as part of Amazon's Vine program. ( )
  JGolomb | Mar 31, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0864424922, Paperback)

From Antarctica to Zimbabwe, if you're going there, chances are Lonely Planet has been there first. With a pithy and matter-of-fact writing style, these guides are guaranteed to calm the nerves of first-time world travelers, while still listing off-the-beaten-path finds sure to thrill even the most jaded globetrotters. Lonely Planet has been perfecting its guidebooks for nearly 30 years and as a result, has the experience and know-how similar to an older sibling's "been there" advice. The original backpacker's bible, the LP series has recently widened its reach. While still giving insights for the low-budget traveler, the books now list a wide range of accommodations and itineraries for those with less time than money.

Explore the riches of Italy with Lonely Planet's essential guide. Featuring a special color feature on Italian art and architecture, this book also contains insider's advice on the best pasta and gelati; skiing and trekking information, notes on history, culture and current politics; as well as practical food and accommodation suggestions for every budget. Delightful sidebars add insight into the culture, with details on everything from gladiators to mushroom picking. --Kathryn True

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:28 -0400)

This guide provides valuable information for independent travel, suggesting hundreds of value for money restaurants and accommodation options. It also gives background briefing on all historical sights, museums and galleries.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,477,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible