X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga by Chris…

X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga

by Chris Claremont, John Byrne (Illustrator)

Other authors: Terry Austin (Inker)

Series: Uncanny X-Men issues (129-137), X-Men (1963)

So. Epic.

I've always loved comics but am a latecomer to X-Men. Sure I've seen the movies and shuffled through a few issues here and there, but this is the first big story I've read. What a great place to start! Smart writing and iconic artwork. If you have any interest in X-Men, you can't do much better. ( )
  wethewatched | Sep 24, 2013 |
This story is part of a collection in a series of comic books. This particular story is about Jean Grey, who already had some powers, but after dying and being reborn, has become the evil and incredibly powerful Dark Phoenix. She is endangering everyone and the X-men have to fight their friend that had risked her life to save them before turning evil. The book is action packed with great graphics on every page.

I have always been a comic book fan, but did not get turned on to X-Men until my son was born. I am completely obsessed with X-Men and this story. The Dark Phoenix saga is the best by far.

In the classroom, I would have this out for students in HS to read. This would be great for the low interest reader. I would have the students get into groups of villains versus heroes and write out a script, then either act it out in class or video tape themselves at home.
  krystyne1973 | Apr 17, 2011 |
I'm going to admit to a small love affair with this story. It may be completely dated, but to me it remains one of the most defining X-Men stories. Ever.

Back in the day, the Chris Claremont and John Byrne run on X-Men was one of the most exciting eras in the comic's history. Quite a bit of what we see happening in the X-Men stories of today are direct results of what these two men did with the characters back then, and nothing seemed to be bigger during that time than the Dark Phoenix Saga. Jean Grey had been reborn as Phoenix after saving her teammates at the apparent cost of her own life. It quickly became clear that her powers had grown tremendously, and seemed to continue growing exponentially. Eventually, through the manipulations of Mastermind, the true overwhelming potential of her power became evident and Dark Phoenix was born, a being with powers of a cosmic proportion. To sate her hunger, she consumed a star, causing it to go supernova and destroying an inhabited world. Upon arriving back to Earth, the X-Men attacked Jean and tried to diffuse her power. When they were unable to accomplish this, Professor X took matters in his own hands and challenged Dark Phoenix on the psychic level, and won, supposedly locking Dark Phoenix back away in Jean's mind. However at that moment, in order to pay for her transgressions, Lilandra kidnapped the X-Men and sentenced Phoenix to death. Professor X challenged his X-Men against Lilandra's Imperial Guard for the life of Jean Grey, and both teams were sent to the Blue Area of the moon to battle. During the course of the battle, Jean began to feel Dark Phoenix taking control, and instead of allowing that to happen and to have more blood on her hands, she decides to take her own life, thus ending the battle.

There were so many other great moments in this storyline: the introduction of Emma Frost, the Hellfire Club, Kitty Pryde, Dazzler. All of this was paving the road for some great stories through the rest of the 80s. Like I said before, it it definitely dated. The need to re-introduce a characters name and their power and/or weakness, ever single issue, becomes even more tiring when you're reading a collected edition like this, but even so, I still love to pull this off the shelf every couple of years to give it a reread. This new 30th Anniversary Edition is gorgeous, and the coloring is nice and crisp.

Now, for the only complaint about the collection: charging $75 for this edition is ridiculous. The two Inferno collections cost $75 each, and they each collect roughly 600 pages of story each, where The Dark Phoenix Saga is only 350 pages. To me, this is something of a ripoff. This new edition does collect a short story from Classic X-Men and Bizarre Adventures, the Phoenix: The Untold Story one-shot (which is the original version of the story where Jean Grey lives) and a What If? story about what would have happened if Jean Grey lived, but still, $75 is a steep price for this collection. It is so nicely presented that I can almost forgive them the price, but just barely; obviously, it didn't stop me from buying the edition.

I would highly recommend this edition to any X-Men fans, but for somebody who is just looking for a quick read and is not as interested in all the extras with this edition, spend the lesser money and get the trade paperback edition. This edition is really only for the hard-core fans. ( )
1 vote tapestry100 | Sep 2, 2010 |
This may have been the first graphic novel I ever purchased, back in 1986 or 1987, at a used book store that my dad had taken me to while we were waiting for my mom to get out of work one day. What a book; it blew my 9- or 10-year-old mind. It had everything I wanted to read about: a diverse team of super-powered mutants, alien warriors, a secret Victorian-style gentleman's club, a redhead in leather... Okay, I was very advanced for a 9-10 year old. Before this graphic novel, I read a lot of Archie comics, some Eerie and Creepy comics (reprints? I don't know but there were a lot of them at the drug store down the street from my grandparents' house), and DC comics such as Superman, Green Lantern, etc. After this I was Marvel all the way. This tragic story holds up amazingly well, even with the knowledge that it has been replayed and retconned to tears over the years. ( )
1 vote lithicbee | Sep 10, 2009 |
Many years ago I picked up one of the issues in the middle of this sequence and was completely lost and interested. This was an interesting read of what happened when Jean Grey fought her alter ego Phoenix and the consequences.

This isn't all of the tale and some of the rest of it sets up some very interesting future issues for the characters. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 18, 2009 |

Chris Claremontprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Byrne, JohnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Austin, TerryInkersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Orzechowski, TomLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It's always hard to bid farwell to those you love, for the Xpmen--gathered on the rain-slick landing pad behind Moira MacTaggert's Muir Island Mutant Research Centre--it's harder than most...
The Rolls' headlights touch Jason Wyngarde for a moment, throwing his shadow across the wall behind him. Cyclops automatically notes the image...but his mind--preoccupied with a host of far-more-pressing concerns--doesn't register it. Perhaps, one day, he will remember--and recognize--who he passed this night. By then, however, it may well be far too late. For him, for the X-Men--and most importantly, for the woman he loves.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0785122133, Paperback)

Believe the hype: the Dark Phoenix saga is one of the greatest comics stories ever. Conceived by writer Chris Claremont and penciller John Byrne (credited as co-plotters, and aided immeasurably by inker Terry Austin), the story begins in The Uncanny X-Men #129 when Professor X sends his team in search of two new mutants detected by Cerebro. The figures in question turn out to be Kitty Pride, who would eventually join the team as Sprite, and the flashy disco singer Dazzler, who would go on to star in her own book. Little do the X-Men know that they're walking into a trap set by the Hellfire Club, a group of supervillains that seem perfectly matched to counter our merry mutants. The insidious part of the plot, however, is how a mysterious man named Jason Wyngarde seems to have been Jean Grey's lover in another time, another era, and how that might give him control over her now. Jean Grey was, like Cyclops, an original member of the X-Men, and had the power of telepathy (a gentle power, like that of the Invisible Girl of the same era). When she was reborn as Phoenix in issue #108, however, she became power incarnate. Can it be controlled, or must the X-Men make a choice between the woman they love and the fate of the universe? It's all here in this nine-issue volume, plus Wolverine alone, Emma Frost, the return of original members Angel and Beast, and a showdown with Lilandra's Imperial Guard in one of comics' great milestone issues, X-Men #137. Read it, true believer--'nuff said. --David Horiuchi

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:54 -0400)

The X-Men must decide if the life of Jean Grey, who has become terrifyingly powerful and terribly corrupted, is worth risking the entire universe.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,159,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible