The Critic by Peter May

The Critic

by Peter May

There is a lot about wine-making and tasting, not so much about solving a murder. It's a tedious story, much weaker than others in the series. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | Oct 11, 2017 |
Lots of great background on wine-making and wine criticism - but great background does not make a great novel - I'm doubtful about Enzo's appeal as a lead character. The book just felt a bit "clunky" ( )
  johnwbeha | May 18, 2017 |
Book Description
Several years ago, Gil Petty, the world's number one wine critic, went missing during a tasting tour of the little-known wine region of Gaillac. Three years ago, his body was discovered, dressed in the ceremonial robes of the Brotherhood of the Order of the Divine Bottle and preserved in red wine before being planted like a scarecrow in a vineyard in southwest France. His murderer was never found. Possible clues to Petty's murder lie in his reviews, but they are locked behind the seemingly unbreakable code he invented to keep them secure from prying eyes prior to publication. A leak to the public would have allowed wine speculators to reap rich rewards. Scots exile and former forensics expert Enzo Macleod reopens this well-chilled case to discover that the genteel world of winemakers hides a business driven by greed, envy, and desperation. Fortified by copious quantities of wine, Enzo hunts an elusive murderer who is quite prepared to kill again. Peter May won the Scottish Young Journalist of the Year Award at 21, and had his first novel published at 26. He then left journalism and became one of Scotland's most successful and prolific television dramatists. A Vintage Corpse is the sequel to Dry Bones and second in the Enzo MacLeod series.

My Review
If you love wine, you will love this book. I learned more about wine than I really needed to know in this 2nd book of the Enzo Files. Peter May is one of my favorite authors and he never has disappointed me. He books are very engaging, realistic and well-developed. They are also filled with lots of twists and turns making his books hard to put down. I now look forward to reading the 3rd book in the series and I highly recommend this hovel to those who love mysteries with a bit of humor and romance. ( )
  EadieB | Nov 27, 2016 |
I finished Peter May's The Criticthe second book about a Scottish forensic scientist Enzo McLeod living in France. In this outing he is in the Gaillac wine area,and there is a lot about winemaking. I was a litle disappointed in the denouement,as the murderer hadnt been in the story since about page 50,and the motivation was somewhat incredible,the murderer was just insane really. Not my sort of story, I enjoy the gradual revealing of the villain,worked out from clues,not a barely mentioned character suddenly popping up.What the oldtime detective fans called fair play. Not sure if I will continue with the series. ( )
1 vote dustydigger | Jul 11, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Former forensics expert, Enzo Macleod, takes up his second challenge of solving seven unsolved murders written about in a book by Roger Raffin. Gil Petty was the world's leading expert. His review could catapult the price of a particular wine, or destroy a winery until he went missing. No one expected he would turn up three years later as a scarecrow in a vineyard having spent those three years in someone's wine vat.

My Thoughts:

I more than likely would have given this book higher stars IF I had not just read Peter May's Lewis Trilogy. That was a 5 star offering...this lacked the same atmosphere and pizzazz. It also could be that I am not enthralled with wineries but I was enthralled with the scarecrow and also with the secret code that the wine critic used to rate the wines. That was the best parts of the book. I will continue this series as I believe that Enzo Mcleod does indeed have promise.
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
'The Critic' is also published as 'A Vintage Corpse'

Gil Petty, the world's leading wine critic, vanishes during a tasting tour of the wine region of Gaillac. Scottish exile and former forensics expert Enzo Macleod takes on the cold case.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,572,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible