The Golden Spiders by Rex Stout

The Golden Spiders (1953)

by Rex Stout

Series: Nero Wolfe (22)

8191317,058 (4)44

2019 reread:
3.5* for this mid-series Nero Wolfe book. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 18, 2019 |
Nero Wolfe is known for his gourmet taste and appetite, appreciation bordering on fanaticism of orchids and for his high priced fees for his detection work. When he takes a case for the paltry sum of $4.30 from a 12 year old kid, named Pete, who gets killed by a hit-and-run driver, it makes little sense to most who know him...except Archie and Wolfe, himself.

Wolfe runs an ad looking for the lady wearing the golden spider earrings. Surprisingly she answers the ad, but becomes upset when she finds out about Pete's death. Scared she will need Wolfe's help, retains his services with a $10,000 check. Before Wolfe can even start on her case, she turns up dead. Being that the bank balance is on the low side, and the death of the lady, Wolfe becomes intent on solving both murders.

Along the way more bodies turn up, along with a blackmail scheme and a scam against immigrants. Archie dresses as a mortician, in one instance, to obtain more information on someone. Saul Panzer takes on the role of an immigrant to gain information on the scam/blackmail racket that is going on.

This is not one of the simpler of Wolfe's cases, and at times I wondered how things were all going to tie up. Definitely not a fast read mystery! ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Apr 27, 2019 |
This book was absolutely hilarious. I loved it!I thought that it was funny and it really made me think. Not serious thinking but I felt like I was watching an old three stooges movie while reading it. Pretty decent read :)
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Classic Nero Wolfe. Intricate plot and wonderful characters. ( )
  steve12553 | Jun 7, 2016 |
I recall reading this when I must have been about as young as Pete, the boy who is wiping a car windshield when a woman in the car mouths "Help, get a cop" --he gets Archie Goodwin instead, but then gets killed himself. Archie and Nero Wolfe investigate a complex case involving two different women wearing the gold earrings. ( )
  antiquary | Feb 13, 2016 |

Stout, Rexprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barnes, LindaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kalvas, ReijoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the doorbell rings while Nero Wolfe and I are at dinner, in the old brownstone home on West Thirty-fifth Street, ordinarily it is left to Fritz to answer it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553277804, Mass Market Paperback)

Trying to determine why his last two clients were ruthlessly murdered, Nero Wolfe wonders if the answer is linked to a young boy who turns up at his brownstone apartment and finds clues in a gray Cadillac, a mysterious woman, and spider-shaped earrings. Reissue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:31 -0400)

Trying to determine why his last two clients were ruthlessly murdered, Nero Wolfe wonders if the answer is linked to a young boy who turns up at his brownstone apartment, and he finds clues in a gray Cadillac, a mysterious woman, and spider-shaped earrings.

Legacy Library: Rex Stout

Rex Stout has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rex Stout's legacy profile.

See Rex Stout's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,458,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible