Three Witnesses

by Rex Stout

Series: Nero Wolfe (26)

Three witnesses hold all the clues in three crimes of passion that have even Nero Wolfe guessing to the very end. Did the dead millionaire who suddenly came back to life--only to end up dead again--write his own death warrant years before? Will the black Labrador retriever who follows Archie home prove that man's best friend is a killer's worst enemy? And in a case involving a telephone answering service with three very untalkative operators, could the great detective himself be the witness who will save an innocent man from the chair?   Introduction by Susan Conant   "It is always a treat to read a Nero Wolfe mystery. The man has entered our folklore."--The New York Times Book Review   A grand master of the form, Rex Stout is one of America's greatest mystery writers, and his literary creation Nero Wolfe is one of the greatest fictional detectives of all time. Together, Stout and Wolfe have entertained--and puzzled--millions of mystery fans around the world. Now, with his perambulatory man-about-town, Archie Goodwin, the arrogant, gourmandizing, sedentary sleuth is back in the original seventy-three cases of crime and detection written by the inimitable master himself, Rex Stout.… (more)

English (12)  Spanish (1)  All languages (13)
1956; Next Witness, When a Man Murders, Die Like a Dog
  18cran | Aug 23, 2021 |
Three short stories as all of the books with a name "Three something", and I really like these. Staying away from spoilers but one of them has a dog. ( )
  bratell | Dec 25, 2020 |
Always a good read. In fact, three of them ( )
  jamespurcell | Jul 29, 2020 |
Three Witnesses (1956) (Nero Wolfe #26) by Rex Stout. Here are three novellas, each centered about a witness in a murder case. Or the absence of one.
First we have “The Next Witness” which was supposed to be Wolfe himself. That is until he dragged Goodwin from the murder trial where they were acting as witnesses. Wolfe didn’t like the smell of his neighbor’s perfume so he decided to go find the real murderer of the telephone answering service’s switchboard operator. If you don’t know what that is,go ask your grandmother.
In “When A Man Murders…” a dead man comes home unexpectedly from the Korean war (pub. date 1956) only to end up dead shortly thereafter.
Lastly is a real howler called “Die Like A Dog”. It features the wrong raincoat and a little dog. And a dead guy just for fun.
All three have the usual banter tween Wolfe and Goodwin, Saul Panzer makes an appearance as do the homicide crew, and in all Wolfe leads us by our little noses into the sweetest solutions. Why didn’t I think of that I’ll say to myself as the logic is unfurled. ( )
  TomDonaghey | Apr 4, 2020 |
I found these 3 novellas or short stories quite pleasurable. However the second story (When a Man Murders) left me puzzled - I had guessed the correct person as the murderer but couldn't figure out what made it clear to Wolfe, even after the denouement! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 8, 2019 |

Stout, Rexprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Conant, SusanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I had had previous contacts with Assistant District Attorney Irving Mandelbaum, but had never seen him perform in a courtroom. ("The Next Witness")
"That's just it," she declared, trying to keep her voice steady. ("When a Man Murders...")
I do sometimes treat myself to a walk in the rain, though I prefer sunshine when there's not enough wind to give the dust a whirl. ("Die Like a Dog")

This short story collection consists of "The Next Witness" (originally serialized as "The Last Witness"); "When a Man Murders..."; and "Die Like a Dog" (originally serialized as "The Body in the Hall").

Legacy Library: Rex Stout

Rex Stout has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rex Stout's legacy profile.

See Rex Stout's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,425,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible