Out of the Blackout (1984)

by Robert Barnard

1918111,843 (3.46)16
A small boy, evacuated from London during the blitz, is taken in by a loving couple who treat him like their own, and who raise him to adulthood. When he returns to London as a man, he feels the need to find his original family. He uncovers a thoroughly detestable family that he knows he was part of, but he has to find out where exactly he fit in. He uncovers an old murder that he actually witnessed as a small boy.… (more)

a boy traces his history from London refugee to country town and back
  ritaer | Jun 4, 2020 |
Creepy
  TanyaRead | Nov 4, 2017 |
This was a quick read and very entertaining. A young boy evacuated from London during WWII who tries to find his past. A gentle unfolding, with a nice little twist. Kept me turning pages. I was clearing off my shelves and found this. I'm glad I did. ( )
  njcur | Oct 19, 2017 |
A stand alone novel by Barnard about a man searching for his past. As a child he was evacuated from London and when arriving at the Yeasdon Station the name he gave wasn't on their list and he didn't know his address in London and had no memory that helped find his family. A local couple took him in and raised him and, after University, he began trying to recover his past. I liked this even better than the others by him that I read earlier this year.
  hailelib | Oct 23, 2016 |
Excellent mystery! ( )
  grundlecat | Oct 9, 2013 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

When the train containing the children pulled into Yeasdon Station it was nearly four hours late.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,555,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible