Miss Buncle Married (1936)

by D. E. Stevenson

Series: Miss Buncle (2)

Fiction. Literature. HTML:

A Marriage and a Sudden Move to a New Town Won't Slow This Mischievous Writer Down!

Barbara Buncle: bestselling novelist, new wife...new neighbor?

In this charming follow-up to Miss Buncle's Book, the intrepid writer moves to a new town filled with fascinating folks...who don't even know they might become the subjects of her next bestselling book.

Miss Buncle may have settled down, but she has already discovered that married life can't do a thing to prevent her from getting into humorous mix-ups and hilarious hijinks.

A beloved author who has sold more than seven million books, D. E. Stevenson is at her best with the stories of Miss Buncle.

"Completely charming."

"And funny, in a way that's intelligent without being difficult and cozy without turning sticky-sweet." â??Reader Review for the Miss Buncle books… (more)

English (37)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (40)
The sequel to Miss Buncle's Book finds our heroine, now Barbara Abbott, married and looking for a new town to settle down and make a home in. This is still a pleasant read, but is much more meandering and unfocused than the first book, and parts of it feel more dated, too. (While the first book is hardly explicitly feminist, there were lots more hinky things about gender and physical appearance in this book. That, together with the weird voodoo fetish doll interlude and the fact that we keep being told how kindly Arthur is while he also more than once talks about how much fun it had been to kill "the Boche" in WWI, sat really uneasily for me alongside the more charming parts of the book.) Some amusing parts, and I'll keep an eye out for the third book in the series but I won't be hurrying to track it down either. ( )
  siriaeve | Apr 2, 2024 |
On a friend’s recommendation, I picked up the first Miss Buncle book last year…and fell in love with it. When I had the chance to read book two in the series recently, I jumped at it. What a fun story! In some ways, it’s different from the first book in the series, but it still retains that simple charm of the first book, while not being a slow or draggy read.

There are spots of humor in the book, such as when Miss Buncle (now Mrs. Abbott) is convinced that “Someday…somebody would find out that she was an imposter in the adult world.” I could relate to that! Or the time when someone’s trousers mysteriously went missing on a very important night….

This was a sweet, fun, fast read. If you are looking for a lighthearted, easy read, I’d highly recommend this series. I adore Mrs. Abbott and her perspective on the world, and the way the other characters are described is both funny and perceptive. I’m looking forward to reading the other books in this series. ( )
  EstherFilbrun | Feb 27, 2024 |
Not *quite* as good as Miss Buncle's Book, but still pretty good. Barbara is now married to Arthur Abbot, and bored of the socialising they seem unable to get out of, they decide to move instead.

Finally they find a place that Barbara can "do up" whilst allowing Arthur to still work in Town.

Apart from Sam and his new girlfriend, the supporting characters are not as "large" as in the previous book, but that might be a good thing, to prevent Stevenson from repeating herself. This time the focus is much more on Barbara and Arthur and it is very sweet.

nordie | Oct 14, 2023 |
Cozy comfort reading at its best. It's very nice if one likes an English-village type novel. I mean, there are plots that run throughout, but a lot of it is just Barbara discovering her new neighbors when she moves to a new village. The writing is very good. I think it helps to have read "Miss Buncle's Book" first. ( )
  Alishadt | Feb 25, 2023 |
Miss Buncle's absurd adventures continue in this light and entertaining sequel. I absolutely love that the Abbotts decide to move away from their living situation, rather than admit to a dislike of dinner parties and card games -- ridiculous, but so satisfying to my inner curmudgeon. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |

D. E. Stevensonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bevan, FionaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Dedicated to those who liked Miss Buncle and asked for more.
'We had better move,' said Mr Abbott casually.
Someday, she was convinced, somebody would find out that she was an imposter in the adult world.

Fiction. Literature. HTML:

"Completely charming."

[retrieved 1/22/2014 from Amazon.com]

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,183,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible