Suspicion of Innocence (1994)

by Barbara Parker

206499,337 (3.33)8
"A smart and successful young attorney, Gail Connor is on the verge of a partnership at a major law firm in the "new" Miami, a city more Latin than Anglo, with a dark side that slides right into the Everglades. But Gail's success at work has masked failure in her personal life: an empty marriage, a daughter she hardly knows, and a past she would rather forget. Then her sister, Renee, is found dead with her wrists slashed." "This riveting, high-tension legal thriller written by a former prosecutor draws us into hot and dangerous Miami, where Gail Connor is about to discover the other side of the law. After Renee's suicide, Gail, left to sort out her complicated feelings for her younger, prettier sister, soon uncovers some of Renee's shocking secrets. But most shocking of all is the police's determination that Renee was murdered...and Gail is the prime suspect." "Gail's only hope is getting the best attorney she knows - her recent adversary in court, Anthony Quintana. But in what may be a major miscalculation for an otherwise street-smart woman, Gail finds herself drawn to her darkly handsome lawyer, a man whose past holds its own surprises. Caught between the closing jaws of the legal system and her own careening emotions, Gail Connor's desperate struggle takes her from the steamy Everglades to the mansions of the wealthy Cubans who had made their mark on South Florida...and into a fight not only for her crumbling career, but for her life." "From an insider who knows the shady underside of Miami and it criminal justice system, Barbara Parker's riveting, page-turning legal thriller is not to be missed."--BOOK JACKET.Title Summary field provided by Blackwell North America, Inc. All Rights Reserved… (more)

This is almost a generic murder mystery, but it is interesting in its presentation. There is a surprise ending, which I, of course, will not reveal. Somewhere around halfway through the book, I made a correct guess as to the killer, but I had no idea until the end as to the motive. There were enough minor mysteries as the book progressed to keep reader interest alive as various theories, suspects, and motives were adopted and discarded.

I first read the Kindle sample. In the first chapter Jimmy Panther, a Native American is working as a tour guide piloting a boat in the Florida Everglades. His Scandinavian passengers happen to see an object in the water which turns out to be a body. Jimmy recognizes the body. That was well written enough to make me want to buy the book.

Immediately in chapter two we are introduced to Gail, a high powered attorney so devoted to her occupation that her marriage is falling apart, she has problems with her mother, doesn’t particularly like her chosen profession, and has problems with her entire family except for sister, Renee. The sister was the body in the water.

Then we have the Cuban connection; after all, it is Florida. Cubans are suspect because they are sneaky and Cuban. There is the possibility of drug involvement on the part of the Cubans, because they are Cuban. All the Cubans in the book, with the exception of the grandfather patriarch, are sex magnets for almost every female in the book, maybe because they are Cuban.

This is a comfortable read; I chose it as a break from more serious reading. Reading this as like running a leisurely 5K race. Not challenging, but satisfying. ( )
  ajarn7086 | Mar 26, 2016 |
A very good read, I must admit that I hadn't expected that....
It all seemed so logical from the blurp, so straight forward, that I used it as an in between read. I was wrong there however: the book had more to it. It wasn't difficult, but luckily it wasn't all whatit seemed from the beginning.

I must admit to disliking all characters apart from the little girl. After all it isn't her fault, is it? But all the rest... oh please! ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | May 4, 2013 |
2001
  katiehuber | Nov 20, 2009 |
Gail Connor's life if falling apart - her marriage, her sister"s apparent suicide. Gail becomes an amateur sleuth to clear her name when the police discover her sister was murdered and Gail is the prime suspect. PC ( )
  prpl_reader_services | Aug 19, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 156,983,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible