The Ritual Bath (1986)

by Faye Kellerman

Series: Decker & Lazarus (1)

Detective Peter Decker of the LAPD is stunned when he gets the report. Someone has shattered the sanctuary of a remote yeshiva community in the California hills with an unimaginable crime. One of the women was brutally raped as she returned from the mikvah, the bathhouse where the cleansing ritual is performed. The crime was called in by Rina Lazarus, and Decker is relieved to discover that she is a calm and intelligent witness. She is also the only one in the sheltered community willing to speak of this unspeakable violation. As Rina tries to steer Decker through the maze of religious laws the two grow closer. But before they get to the bottom of this horrendous crime, revelations come to light that are so shocking they threaten to come between the hard-nosed cop and the deeply religious woman with whom he has become irrevocably linked.… (more)

English (38)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (44)
Jewish widow is threatened by rapist as investigating cop falls in love with her.
  ritaer | Apr 18, 2021 |
I had read this book many years ago and enjoyed it then. I've recently read the 2 newest Faye Kellerman books and was trying to remember how Peter and Rina met. It was fun to go back in time to a day when people used house phones and had very few computers.
Faye Kellerman does an amazing job of creating characters who are so well written and strong that they can continue to delight years later. I'm really glad that I went back to the beginning to see how these two met and started a life long love. ( )
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |
A great introduction to a mystery series that focuses as much on character development as it does on solving the case. ( )
  wandaly | Jan 4, 2020 |
This was an enjoyable read. I'd say it is more romance than crime novel, but not an insipid romance. In general, I do not consider most romances to be acceptable even to the point of calling them novels.

I'm not sure if I will read another in the series. If I am just looking for entertainment I might. ( )
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
Non so....forse le mie aspettative erano troppo alte, ma ho trovato la storia troppo troppo tirata per i capelli, e poi lenta da morire......
i dialoghi senza mai una fine...... e dire che di infinite possibilità ve ne erano a bizzeffe...
L'idea di ricavare un mistery nell'ambiente dell'ortodossia ebraica è già un inizio strepitoso...peccato vedere una trama così scialba e farraginosa....
il finale veramente triste senza un minimo di plot twist finale...Peccato!! ( )
  Mandane75 | Nov 16, 2018 |

Halperin, AmyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tanner, UteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Jonathan. Ani l'dodi 'dodi li.
And for the munchkins:
Jesse, Rachel, and Ilana.
"The key to a good potato kugel is good potatoes," Sarah Libba shouted over the noise of the blow dryer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,442,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible