Through Wolf's Eyes by Jane Lindskold

Through Wolf's Eyes (2001)

by Jane Lindskold

Series: Firekeeper Saga (1)

881None10,099 (3.86)18
Recently added byprivate library, MilesVor, jmvilches, nrmay, karyanca, Kaenith, BJ3568, swarmack
2008 (5) animals (8) ebook (35) fantasy (260) fantasy fiction (5) feral children (11) fiction (72) Firekeeper (31) Firekeeper Saga (14) high fantasy (7) Kindle (7) magic (10) novel (8) own (6) paperback (10) politics (8) read (18) science fiction (9) series (13) sf (5) sff (15) signed (5) sold (4) speculative fiction (6) succession (6) to-read (18) unread (24) war (9) wolf (23) wolves (59)

A young girl, raised by Royal wolves [bigger and smarter] is taken back to medieval civilization as the possible heir of a kingdom. Turns out she isn't, but she ends up saving the King and helping the kingdom.

The first in at least 6 Wolf novels. This was a very enjoyable read. There was NO angst, no bitter self-recriminations. The author kept the emotional tone of the book upbeat, forward moving and didn't let you get mired in despair and the past. Worth getting in hardback. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
Okay, so, to start: This book includes (1) a world map, (2) a royal family tree, and (3) a glossary of characters. Any guesses as to why supplementary materials like these are included in so many fantasy novels? SO THAT EXTRANEOUS WORLD-BUILDING FACTOIDS DON'T NEED TO BE REVEALED THROUGH OVERLY-EXPOSITORY NARRATION OR DIALOGUE.

And yet that constituted 40% of the book.

There was a scene in which one cousin recounts to another HIS WHOLE FAMILY'S NAMES. To his cousin. Who has known this family all her life. In another scene, a character explains that the border between the primary country and its greatest rival is a river -- as if this wouldn't be common knowledge (and readily visible in the aforementioned map). Several pages are dedicated to an Old-Testament-style recounting of who begat whom; quite a few more describe the geological events that formed a once-used setting. To put it briefly: far too much time was spent agonizing over unnecessary or oft-repeated details.

The premise was great; the plot was decent; the writing put me to sleep. Luckily, the pace picked up CONSIDERABLY in the last quarter of the book, which got me through it. The sequel's been gathering dust on my shelf for the last decade or so (which is actually why I picked this one up), so I'll give a run at that next, but if the writing is as torturous as in this one, I'll put it aside within the first hundred pages. ( )
  NeitherNora | Sep 7, 2013 |
In typical epic fantasy style, Through Wolf's Eyes is both long and filled to the brim with characters to remember. There are lots of battles and backstabbings, too. Additionally, there is a hint of magic, not the spell kind, but a subtler magic, talents certain people have for gardening or healing or working with animals. The world building here is excellent and I liked the idea of the girl raised by wolves and of the Greater animals. (There are Great wolves, the kind who raised Firekeeper, who are smarter and larger than regular wolves; the same is true of other animals, like falcons.)

The cast of characters, too, is quite likable, although I did not get too especially attached to most of them. Firekeeper is interesting, but not yet really a fitting heroine. She is too much wolf yet to have any romantic entanglements with her own kind or to involve herself too deeply. Derian, who becomes responsible for her training, is a good guy, who I think could become quite a good fellow later on. My favorite character by far is Doc, Jared; he's just such an intelligent sweetie pie. I actually quite liked King Tedric, as well. Lady Elise started out as a bit of an airhead, but grows into a much better character. Lady Sapphire is a bit tetchy and whiny, but kicks serious ass.

For those who do not read epic fantasy, I should warn that with this novel especially, but also the genre generally, the plot often moves kind of slowly. There will be exciting battles here and there, but there is a lot of necessary back story and plot development to get through, so there will almost always be some parts that drag and some completely irritating characters you have to follow along with. Through Wolf's Eyes definitely has slow parts and has less action than most, focusing primarily on the search for an heir to Hawk Haven, although I promise there are battles and such later on.

So far this is a good read, if a bit slow, and I look forward to reading the next, which is good, because I'm planning to read through the whole series. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
This book was really good. I thoroughly enjoyed Firekeeper's character and her unique point of view. I have to admit that my eyes started to glaze over with some of the political parts of it, but only because I've never enjoyed politics of any sort in a book, not because of poor writing.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy and animal magic. ( )
  ShannaRedwind | Mar 31, 2013 |
I thought I would like this book, because of Firekeeper’s struggles to go from wolf to human. The idea of that is intriguing. However the book turned out less enjoyable than I had hoped for. I think it was all the politics. And the intrigue of Firekeeper having grown up thinking she was a wolf is as present after the first 100 pages. It also might be my reading level, but the story seemed too simple, with not enough ... meat to it? If that makes sense. For a younger reader, it might be a great read, but I myself had a hard time finishing it. On a side note, I've just finished packing for my move! So maybe I just too focused on everything else to really take in the whole story. Who knows. I don't so I'm just going to move on to something else. ( )
  Kassilem | Sep 25, 2012 |

Jane Lindskoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, JulieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jim,

with Love
AAA-roooo! AAA-roooo!

Distant, yet carrying, the wolf's howl broke the late-afternoon stillness.
Amazon UK have the author incorrectly as Jane Linskold on one edition

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812575482, Mass Market Paperback)

Firekeeper only vaguely remembers a time when she didn't live with her "family," a pack of "royal wolves"-bigger, stronger, and smarter than normal wolves. Now her pack leaders are sending her back to live among the humans, as they promised her mother years ago.

Some of the humans think she may be the lost heir to their throne. This could be good-and it could be very, very dangerous. In the months to come, learning to behave like a human will turn out to be more complicated than she'd ever imagined.

But though human ways might be stranger than anything found in the forest, the infighting in the human's pack is nothing Firekeeper hasn't seen before. That, she understands just fine. She's not your standard-issue princess-and this is not your standard-issue fairy tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:49 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible