The gun seller by Hugh Laurie

The gun seller (1996)

by Hugh Laurie

Recently added bymeglasson, hawtbug, tkgbjenn1, KarlaRS, Room1O1, gautebi, EmilyElmer, private library, birdsonwire

English (100)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (106)
The plot and the characters aren't worth much. But read it for the amusing writing.

> "The modern attack helicopter can travel at around two-hundred-and-fifty miles an hour." I was about to say that that sounded pretty slippy to me, when she continued: "A modern fighter airplane will cover a mile in four seconds." Without summoning a waiter and asking for a pencil and paper, there was not the remotest chance of my working out whether this was faster or slower than two hundred and fifty miles an hour, so I just nodded and let her carry on.

> We strolled on a bit. A pigeon flew towards us and then darted away at the last moment, as if he’d suddenly realised we weren’t who he thought we were.

> I didn’t like the sound of this. This was all horribly wrong. This was red wine with fish. This was a man wearing a dinner jacket and brown shoes. This was as wrong as things get.

> He weighed it in his hand for a moment, as if contemplating whether to give it to me or hurl it out of the door into the snow; and then he started rummaging in his pocket. Whatever he was looking for was in the last pocket he tried, and I was just thinking how nice it was to see this happening to someone else for a change… ( )
  breic | May 11, 2019 |
Many know Hugh Laurie as the curmudgeon Dr. House, somewhat fewer know him as the half of the hilareous British sketch comedy duo Fry and Laurie. But even fewer still know that he's an author of spy thrillers, or at least one. And its pretty darn good.

Thomas Lang is a former Scot's Guard soldier and is offered a ton of money to assassinate an American industrialist, but he decides to warn him instead and puts him on the path to battle evil billionaires, seducing beatiful women, and trying to save the world from the mililtary industrial complex. Part, Robert Ludlum, some Ian Fleming and a very generous dose of Douglas Adams. One of the funniest books I've read in a long time.

Rayner, I estimated, was ten years older than me. Which is fine. Nothing wrong with that...But Rayner was also three inches taller than me, four stones heavier, and at least eight however-you-measure-violence units more violent. He was uglier than a car park, with a big, hairless skull that dipped and bulged like a balloon full of spanners, and his flattened, fighter's nose, apparently drawn on his face by someone using their left hand, or perhaps even their left foot, spread out in a meandering, lopsided delta under the rough slab of his forehead.

I once met an RAF pilot who told me how he and his navigator had had to eject from their very expensive Tornado GR1, three hundred feet above the Yorkshire dales, because of what he called a "bird strike". (This, rather unfairly in my view, made it sound as if it was the bird's fault; as if the little feathered chap had deliberately tried to head-butt twenty tons of metal travelling in the opposite direction at just under the speed of sound, out of spite.)

Don't go to Casablanca expecting it to be like the film. In fact, if you're not too busy, and your schedule allows it, don't go to Casablanca at all.

8/10

S: 1/12/19 - 1/29/19 (18 Days) ( )
  mahsdad | Feb 6, 2019 |
Hugh Laurie is known to many by his TV series. Anyone who has missed his television image will accept him now as a writer.

And what did Laurie wrote? It's a so-called thriller. The tension is negligible, the plot is unfounded and appropriate for the genre, rough moves and after all, it will not fit the cinema. There is a recipe for failure, yet the truth is, that it is all but a failure.

The book can be the ultimate vacation book: smart, witty, amusing, funny - all aren't that trivial, and while many writers tried to do the same as Laurie, most lacked the elusive matter of intelligence and timing. These two naturally located in Laurie and hence the success of the book. ( )
  Bertchuba | Jan 10, 2019 |
Brilliant work of wit, a spoof on the spy genre, Hugh Laurie's first work is definitely worth reading. ( )
  KatelynSBolds | Nov 12, 2018 |
Wait, that Hugh Laurie? Yes! I can't believe how good this novel is, more Elmore Leonard than Ian Fleming. I found myself flipping to the title page more than once, wondering 'when was this written?' - seems to anticipate the entire 21st Century from 1996. I can't recommend this pot-boiler enough. ( )
  kcshankd | Jul 30, 2018 |
It's the highest compliment to say: Why on earth didn't anyone think of doing this before? What a great idea. . . This is a genuinely witty and sophisticated entertainment.

Laurie, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curtoni, VittorioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziff, LloydCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
Imagine that you have to break someone's arm.

Thomas Lang, a drifter and former officer of the Scots Guards, is offered a contract to murder a wealthy London CEO. He decides to warn the victim instead of killing him. Unfortunately, Lang is thrown into a James bondish run for his life.
Wodehousian spy
versus arms-dealing cartel
written by. . . Prince George?
(Longshanks)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067102082X, Paperback)

British actor and comedian Hugh Laurie's first book is a spot-on spy spoof about hapless ex-soldier Thomas Lang, who is drawn unwittingly and unwillingly into the center of a dangerous James Bond-like plot of international terrorists, arms dealing, high-tech weapons, and CIA spooks. You may recall having seen Laurie in the English television series Jeeves and Wooster; Laurie played Bertie Wooster, the clutzy hero of the P.G. Wodehouse comic novels that originated those characters. The lineage from Wodehouse's Wooster to Laurie's Lang is clear, and, if you like Wodehouse, you'll probably love The Gun Seller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:23 -0400)

Offered a large sum of money to perform an assassination, Thomas Lang chooses instead to warn the intended victim, only to find himself on the hit list and up against such adversaries as rogue CIA agents, wannabe terrorists, and an arms dealer.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Hugh Laurie's book The Gun Seller was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,599,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible