Black Out by Lisa Unger

Black Out (2008)

by Lisa Unger

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The women in Before I Go To Sleep and Black Out are suffering from amnesia. They must piece together their identities in order to escape from threatening and disturbing forces at work in their lives.

I really liked this! It was suspenseful from beginning to end, and Unger did a good job of keeping it real. There were no moments of incredulity too ridiculous to accept that threw the reader out of the story. Men might find this a little tame -- while she hinted at atrocious acts, she doesn't describe any of them. And no lurid sex scenes. I really enjoyed her writing style. I'm going to check out her other works as well. ( )
  Lit_Cat | Dec 9, 2017 |
Lisa Unger has written some great books and she’s written some stinkers. BLACK OUT is somewhere in between.

Ophelia grew up with unloving parents. Her father was mostly absent, both physically and mentally, and her mother seemed too stupid and selfish to be able to love her. As a result, Ophelia became unhinged, mentally ill. And it got worse while she willingly and unwillingly accompanied a murderer through several states. She was traumatized and unable to save herself.

Now Ophelia is Annie. She is happily married and has a child. (Speaking of which, both Ophelia/Annie and her mother pick names for their children like most people pick names for their pets. Victory?) Her mental illness, seemingly, continues.

Because I love this type of book, mystery/suspense/thriller, I often must have a willing suspension of disbelief. But BLACK OUT asks for too much. Why were Ophelia/Annie and her husband so duped? This is never adequately explained, at least not enough to suit me.

Worse, though, are the loose ends: Ophelia/Annie’s friend Ella and the detective. Who was Ella? Why is the detective there and suddenly not? No answers, just possibilities. ( )
  techeditor | Nov 11, 2017 |
Wow, this book has a lot of bizarre narrative. It's my first Unger book and I'm not sure if I'm going to delve into any more. I like a mystery. I like a good thriller. But when the character has to warn us in the beginning that things aren't good it just seems too much protestation and sometimes the books can't live up to the claims and suspense.

Black Out wasn't bad, it was just long. And not good Harry Potter long, more long winded, repeating some of the same story lines over and over and over again.

The basic plot is good, but a lot of other things just weren't. The description of the husband is cliche. They have a lot of money. It's the usual formula to write a book that is going to sell. That part I found just dull and annoying since it was repeated so much.

It's not bad. I just don't think it's as amazing as some think it is. But to each her own. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
An ordinary wife and mother, Annie Powers, is not so ordinary as she first appears. But then, neither is her husband who works in a company that does business in a post-9/11 world, Gray Powers perhaps offering his wife the unique assistance that allows a troubled young woman to create a different life after years of trauma. But this chance to start over, with Gray and daughter, Victory, on Florida's Gulf Coast isn't purchased without considerable cost. Gray's private enterprises facilitate his shielding of Annie and this is a bargain she is willing to make. Finally secure, even a little careless of late, Annie is suddenly overtaken by an eerie sense that she is being watched, that the impossible has happened and "he" has returned to claim her. She knows she is safe, that Gray has effectively erased the past, but it is all shattered in a moment in the soft repetition of a name, "Ophelia".

The major flaw with "Black Out" is how Lisa Unger structures the story. Unfortunately, she decides not to unfold the plot in a linear fashion. Instead she constantly jumps back and forth through time in an episodic manner, which prevents the storyline from gaining any true momentum. I also felt the plot was at times confusing, making it difficult for me to understand what was going on. The ending is similarly ambigious and perplexing, which led me to view this book with a certain amount of frustration. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
An enjoyable read with a focus on mental illness, or at least the lead character could be said to be mentally ill along with some of ther other characters. The topic is not my favourite, however, the underlying story to this yarn was interesting. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
The fair Ophelia!--Nymph in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.
For Ocean Rae, Sophie, Lucy, Matilda, Zoe, and Josie, my daugher and the daughers of women I love and admire.
Today something interesting happened. I died.

When my mother named me Ophelia, she thought she was being literary. She didn’t realize she was being tragic.

On the surface, Annie Powers’s life in a wealthy Floridian suburb is happy and idyllic. Her husband, Gray, loves her fiercely; together, they dote on their beautiful young daughter, Victory. But the bubble surrounding Annie is pricked when she senses that the demons of her past have resurfaced and, to her horror, are now creeping up on her. These are demons she can’t fully recall because of a highly dissociative state that allowed her to forget the tragic and violent episodes of her earlier life as Ophelia March and to start over, under the loving and protective eye of Gray, as Annie Powers. Disturbing events—the appearance of a familiar dark figure on the beach, the mysterious murder of her psychologist—trigger strange and confusing memories for Annie, who realizes she has to quickly piece them together before her past comes to claim her future and her daughter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:46 -0400)

A woman has to quickly piece together disturbing events--one of which is the murder of her psychologist--before her past comes to claim her future and her daughter.

Lisa Unger is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,390,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible