The Doll People by Ann M. Martin

The Doll People (2000)

by Ann M. Martin, Laura Godwin (Author)

Other authors: Brian Selznick (Illustrator)

Series: Doll People (1)

1,520537,865 (3.94)52
A family of porcelain dolls that has lived in the same house for one hundred years is taken aback when a new family of plastic dolls arrives and doesn't follow The Doll Code of Honor.
    The Mennyms by Sylvia Waugh (jrbeach)
    jrbeach: Life size rag dolls, who are alive.

This post has taken me far longer to write than I'd like to admit and I think that's largely because I found this book pretty lukewarm. The Doll People by Ann M. Martin (with pictures by Brian Selznick) was another one of those books recommended as a great book for the kids in your life who are trying to stretch their legs as early and eager readers. I didn't realize at the outset of reading it that it was actually the first in a series which follow the lives of the members of the Doll family. This is like Toy Story but dialed up to 11, ya'll. We follow the adventures of Annabelle Doll who is preoccupied with the mystery of her aunt's disappearance 45 years ago. Like Toy Story, there are certain rules about letting the humans see them moving but they actually have an oath with consequences attached. (We learn about Doll State or Permanent Doll State where they are frozen either temporarily or permanently.) The storyline is slow and rather predictable but suitable for beginner readers who are gaining confidence with chapter books. I guess the most 'interesting' part (if you can call it that) was when a new set of dolls entered the house and the reader can see the difference between the older porcelain toys and the newer plastic ones. 4/10 ( )
  AliceaP | Aug 1, 2019 |
Dear Sophia,
Thank you for loaning me The Doll People. I really liked it. What did I like?
p.15 – The heroine talks about the difference between being bored and being restless. I started thinking about this difference in my own life. Restlessness is a sign that something is missing. I think we should pay attention to restlessness in our lives. The heroine’s restlessness is solved by a friend: that’s what she needed. We need different things in our life, but friendship is certainly one of them. We also need – granddaughters. I think my whole life is different because you are in it.
p.32 spiders. The illustrations later on are fascinating! I am inspired to take up the study of spiders!
p.112-114 negotiating. You are an excellent negotiator and I recognized the same skill in the heroine in these pages. It’s one of the things I am so impressed by.
p.130 “Barbies never do.” This was quite funny! It was a subtle humor, aimed at grandmothers, I think.

With love and a hug and thank you for sharing your reading with me.
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
“The Doll People” is a fictional story of a family of dolls who are alive but must keep that a secret from the humans that own them. This novel provides a fun “out of the box” look at dependence, independence, and interdependence. The dolls must depend on their human owners for certain things, but also enjoy a sense of independence when the humans are not around. The main doll character, Annabelle, also struggles to find a balance between depending on her parents advice and independently adventuring out to see the world. ( )
  Brianna.Andrea | Feb 21, 2019 |
A chapter book about a family of dolls living in a doll house that can walk, talk, and function. It can show students about story line, relatable content, and easy reading. ( )
  Danielle_Rojas | Nov 26, 2018 |
Book that shows us what happens when we go to sleep?. Our dolls come to life. The story is about the Doll family a group of Victorian era doll house dolls. They are really living dolls who move around while we sleep or are away. In this book the Dolls meet a new family, the little sister has gotten a doll house of her own. The house as well as the dolls are all plastic, very different from what the china Victorian dolls are accustomed to. The little girl dolls from both families become best friends and share a few adventures together in this book. They have to rescue Father Doll who got kidnapped by the cat. Also they search for Auntie Doll who has been missing for almost 45 years. Got this as I had seen the sequel first and it looked interesting and my mother is a doll collector. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Apr 28, 2018 |

Ann M. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Godwin, LauraAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Selznick, BrianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate and James
and for all our nieces and nephews:
Brett

For my nephews:
Brennan
Dillan
---B.S.
It had bee forty-five years since Annabelle Doll had last seen Auntie Sarah.
Annabelle felt a tremendous sense of relief, as if something very heavy had been lifted from her heart. "So if I did (italics) disappear, you would (italics) come looking for me? Even if you were a little afraid? I mean, if you thought something awful had happened and I wouldn't be returned by Kate or someone in a few days?"
"Oh, yes. Yes, of course, Annabelle."
Annabelle leaned forward and hugged her mother.
(pp. 229-230)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,625,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible