The Campaigns of Alexander by Arrian

The Campaigns of Alexander

by Arrian

English (9)  Swedish (1)  All languages (10)
This was disappointing. There is little narrative, just a laundry list of places and dubious numbers. I was hoping for more explication. ( )
  kcshankd | Mar 10, 2019 |
I read this for a history class, long ago. ( )
  Lit_Cat | Dec 9, 2017 |
One of my all time favorite books. Probably the first real piece of classical history I read when I was 19, and it's still my favorite, even though Arrian's stoic justification for Alexander's bad behavior is less justified for me at 34. You can feel Alexander's glory. ( )
  billt568 | Sep 5, 2017 |
This is the most detailed life of Alexander written by someone with access to the records of his time, which was probably around 150CE. Also it's got lots of battles, and keeps track of some of the changes in the staff and army of the conqueror. If you can only read one, read this one.
The translation is well written in the 1971 edition, which is the one I've got. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Feb 5, 2014 |
So let me start with saying that Alexander THE GREAT is truly deserving of “Great”. From stat to finish I was enthralled (there are parts, not so much but very few). The shear scale of battle the audacity and arrogance of the man made him one of the first greats. I mean hell he conquered the known world before he was thirty and then died before he was forty. Here it is over 2500 years later and this man is still considered to be and labeled as "THE GREAT" An excellent book if your a history nerd (like myself) an even more outstanding piece of classical ligature about one of the world first superpower leaders ( )
  a1abwriter | Sep 25, 2012 |

Lagerström, IngemarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mooij-Valk, SimoneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selincourt, Aubrey deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sisti, FrancescoEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is said that Philip died when Pythodemus was archon at Athens, and that his son Alexander, being then about twenty years of age, marched into the Peloponnesus as soon as he had secured the regal power.
Arrian's history of Alexander the Great is our most complete and reliable account of the world's greatest conqueror. Writing in the Roman Empire during the 2nd century AD, Arrian was a Greek historian, philosopher, and military commander. For this work, also known as “The Anabasis of Alexander”, he had access to many sources which are now sadly lost. Thankfully for us, he cites them by name, weighs their truthfulness and motives, and records what he believes to be the most probable story of Alexander's intentions and deeds. The result is a brilliant description of the young Macedonian prince, and of how he conquered most of the known world in just ten years.

Generally reliable account of the life, character, and military operations of the great conqueror by the second-century A.D. Greek historian and military administrator for the Romans.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,349,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible