Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Blood Rites

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (6)

While going undercover on the set of an adult film to investigate the mysterious deaths of several actresses, Chicago wizard Harry Desden unexpectedly learns the shocking truth about his vampire friend Thomas.

English (143)  German (1)  All languages (144)
If you're a fan of The Dresden Files, then this is definitely an important book in the series. Of course it has all the usual elements that make this series so fun -- wizards, vampires and curses, all smack dab in the middle of Chicago, battling Harry Dresden, professional wizard -- but there's definitely a lot of back story on Harry and is family that I had always been curious about. I like this series because Harry doesn't take himself that seriously and the humor in these books is clever, witty and laugh out loud funny.

Looking forward to more! ( )
  jmoncton | Nov 22, 2020 |
A Deadly Game Of Cat and Mouse

I've read the previous books in this series and really enjoyed them. The Dresden Files has become one of my favourite reads. The magic and paranormal abilities found in these books feel perfectly credible.

I love the way that the characters in these books are written. They're multifaceted creations that feel believable; they have depth and layers to their personalities. Good or bad, light or dark is an illusion, the reality is actually one of the myriad shades of grey. Aside from Harry, I loved getting to know Thomas and Murphy during this adventure. There are revelations that took my breath away.

Blood Rites was more than a good story, it had everything that I look for. There's a great balance between the various aspects of this story: Mystery, crime, thriller, horror, detective, and the paranormal. Jim Butcher blends the more brutal aspects with well-written humour, love, friendship and hope. This mix helps to keep the story from being too dark and heavy. Blood Rites also managed to surprise me a few times; not taking the direction I was expecting. I enjoyed trying to second guess what would happen next and how Harry would get out of the various deadly situations he inevitably found himself in.

I bought the audiobook format as well as the ebook. However, I found myself just listening to Blood Rites rather than reading it. James Marsters performance was amazing. The pace at which he read the narrative was appropriate for each scene, while the voices he gave to each character added another level of credibility to the dialogue. I feel that James has personified our protagonist. Bringing Harry to life in his narration of this series.

Blood Rites is a gripping book. However, it's part of an ongoing series so don't expect all the loose ends to be neatly tied up. There's no life-or-death cliffhanger at the end. However, although Harry may have won the battles in this book, we're left in no doubt that he'll need to face many more before the war is over. I for one, can't wait to find out what adventures Harry is forced to go on in the next book. ( )
1 vote -Flora- | Nov 8, 2020 |
Not my favourite. Maybe because I got the distinct impression that the characters were moving in service to the plot, rather than in organic ways. And it may be because the bad guy and weapon seemed half-assed, and designed to minimize threat and suspense. It may be because the interchangeability of the bad guy at the other end of the curses. Maybe a combination?

On the cool side, this is basically Harry Dresden vs the Final Destination movies. People dieing in highly unlikely, but "natural" ways, because of the dreaded Entropy Curse. Dun Dun Duuuuun!

I found my attention lagging, at about the mid-point.

But, all-in-all, I still enjoyed the ride. ( )
  James_Patrick_Joyce | Oct 24, 2020 |
Like all Dresden files books, it can get a little melodramatic and silly, but its not that bad. This book in particular was a little thick on the grand statements about family and love and all that silly stuff. Aside from that, nice action, nice (enough) characterization, and an easy read. Not bad. ( )
  Raykoda3 | Sep 25, 2020 |
This book develops Harry's character a bit more than some of the others. One of the themes is family and what it means to have family or not have family. Murphy is dealing with her family and the pressure they put on her to live up to their expectations, Thomas is dealing with being on the outs with his family (we get to meat his father and sisters) and Harry is coming to terms with not having any family left. The mystery was interesting to me and liked getting to know Murphy and Thomas a bit better. This book is also the one where he acquires Mouse, one of my favorite literary dogs. ( )
1 vote Cora-R | Jul 28, 2020 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
MacLeod, LeeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my nieces and nephews: Craig, Emily, Danny, Ellie, Gabriel, Lori, Anna, Mikey, Kaitlyn, Greta, Foster and Baby-To-Be-Named-Later. I hope you all grow up to find as much joy in reading as has your uncle.
The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.
"What about her death curse?"
I blinked.
"You'd thought of that, right?" he asked.
"What death curse?" I stammered.
"Use your head, boy," Ebenezar said. "If she's got a wizard's power, she might well be able to level a death curse at you when she goes down."
"Oh, come on," I muttered. "That's no fair. She's already dead."
She flipped to a second page and took a pen from behind one hair-bun. "Oh, what would you like on your vegetarian pizza?"
"Dead pigs and cows," I said.
She glanced up at me and wrinkled her nose.
"They're vegetarians," I said defensively.
"But what do you want on yours? I mean, I'm supposed to make everyone happy here."
"Kill me some animals, then," I said. "It's a protein thing."
"Oh, you should have said," Inari replied, smiling at me. We stopped in front of a door and she scribbled on her clipboard. "Some extra cheese, maybe some beans and corn. Or wait. Tofu. Protein. I'll fix you up."
Bean-curd pizza, good grief. I should raise my rates.
"Hey, Harry. You know what?"
"No. What?"
"I'm thinking maybe we should get indoors."
I picked up the puppy and scanned the darkness but saw nothing. "Discretion is the better part of not getting exsanguinated," I said. "Let's go."
Murphy had genuine worry on her face and actual tears in her eyes and I started feeling out of my depth. Maybe because it was a family thing. It seemed like something completely alien and I didn't get it. Murphy was worried about being close to her mom. Murphy should just go talk to her mom, right? Bite the bullet and clear the air. With anyone else she'd have handle the problem exactly that way. But I've noticed that people got the most irrational whenever family was around while simultaneously losing their ability to distinguish reason from insanity. I call it familial dementia.

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, there have been worse assignments than going undercover on the set of an adult film. Like fleeing a burning building full of enraged demon monkeys, for instance. Or going to toe-to-leaf with a walking plant monster. Still, there's something more troubling than usual about the newest case. the film's producer believes he's the target of a sinister entropy curse, but it's the women around him who are dying, in increasingly spectacular ways.

Harry's doubly frustrated because he got involed with this bizarre mystery only as a favor to Thomas, his flirtatious, self-absorbed vampire acquaintance of dubious integrity. Thomas has a personal stake in the case Harry can't quite figure out until his investigation leads him straight to Thomas' oversexed vampire family. Harry's about to discover that Thomas' family tree has been hiding a shocking secret: a revelation that will change Harry's life forever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,515,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible