Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik

Throne of Jade (2006)

by Naomi Novik

Series: Temeraire (2)

While I enjoyed this book greatly, it didn't hold as much sway for me as the first one.Which is still fine because I still enjoyed this book greatly, sometimes i's just hard to live up to the debut. In this second book in the series Laurence and Temeraire are summoned to China. A royal escort has come to take them back to China to explain themselves to the emperor. The Chinese embassy is aghast that an imperial dragon such as Temeraire would be allowed to fight in battles and treated as if he were any other ordinary dragon. Reluctantly they head off for a six month journey. Along the way lie many dangers, and Termeraire and Laurence's relationship begins to strain a little. What will happen if Temeraire likes China better? Will they really be safe there? And will they ever be able to go back home? The sea journey was a little long for me, but there was a lot more intrigue and a lot more dragons which i appreciated. ( )
  ecataldi | Aug 20, 2018 |
I read the first book of this series and really enjoyed it, so much so that I immediately went out and bought the second book. I read about halfway and, as always seems to happen, I got distracted with other books and other things and didn't end up finishing this one. At some point I'll need to start all over with the first one so I can remember details going into the second.
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 2, 2018 |
This novel continues the story that began in His Majesty's Dragon, and does so without feeling like the same exact story. I enjoyed learning more about Temeraire's origins (and about the dragons in general). ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
Yes, that's how much I liked Temeraire #1, I dove right into #2. I actually bought it instead of waiting for the library book to come in. And the second one held up admirably, furthering the story of Temeraire and his human, Laurence, putting them into all sorts of jeopardy, and making the dragon even more wonderful. How is that possible? But I love Temeraire, and want him as a friend. I want to hang out with him and talk about politics and philosophy, and read him some good books.

In this installment, the unexpected reveal at the end of #1 has inevitable repercussions, and Laurence and Temeraire are forced to travel to China, to deal with them. Along the way there are worries about the advances of Napoleon's army, as you might expect, but it's also interesting to see Temeraire encounter slaves for the first time, and understand the situation, not just in the abstract, but very much as a personal issue. That dragon is a thinker, and his instincts are almost always excellent.

And yes, there's danger, and fighting, and people plotting, but the real allure for me was watching Temeraire develop into a real personality, quite outside the influence of Laurence and the air corps. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that he carries much of the burden of the book on his back. Fortunately he's up to the task.

I'm taking a breather after this because I've got #3 on hold and I really do have to get back to the stack of things I abandoned this month. All I can say is that if you're up for some ripping yarns about a very smart dragon and his square-jawed gentleman companion, this series is well worth checking out. ( )
  Tracy_Rowan | Mar 31, 2018 |
I liked it, but it felt a little slow. The political meanderings and the voyage on the ship was good, but it felt like it dragged. The end picked up the pace, but it felt a little rushed. I kind of wish more time was spent with some action and Laurence and Temeraire actually in China.

Overall, not bad, and I will continue the series, but this wasn't the greatest sequel. ( )
  jdifelice | Mar 21, 2018 |

Naomi Novikprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Chawa Nowik, in hopes that someday I'll be ready to write her book.
The day was unseasonably warm for November, but in some misguided deference to the Chinese embassy, the fire in the Admiralty boardroom had been heaped excessively high, and Laurence was standing directly before it.
"...and all for the sake of the Government. I am very tired of this Government, which I have never seen, and which is always insisting that I must do disagreeable things, and does no good to anybody."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345481291, Mass Market Paperback)

When Britain intercepted a French ship and its precious cargo–an unhatched dragon’s egg–Capt. Will Laurence of HMS Reliant unexpectedly became master and commander of the noble dragon he named Temeraire. As new recruits in Britain’s Aerial Corps, man and dragon soon proved their mettle in daring combat against Bonaparte’s invading forces.

Now China has discovered that its rare gift, intended for Napoleon, has fallen into British hands–and an angry Chinese delegation vows to reclaim the remarkable beast. But Laurence refuses to cooperate. Facing the gallows for his defiance, Laurence has no choice but to accompany Temeraire back to the Far East–a long voyage fraught with peril, intrigue, and the untold terrors of the deep. Yet once the pair reaches the court of the Chinese emperor, even more shocking discoveries and darker dangers await.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

Captain Will Laurence and his noble dragon Temeraire battle against Bonaparte's invading forces. When China discovers that their rare gift, meant for Napoleon, is now in the hands of the British forces, they demand the return of the dragon.

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,501,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible