Y: The Last Man Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores (2008)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra (Illustrator), José Marzán Jr. (Illustrator)

Series: Y: The Last Man (10)

Final installment. "Now the remaining trio of Yorick, Ampersand and Agent 355 are at last approaching Paris, where Yorick's long-lost finacee Beth awaits, along with the heavily armed women who have been hunting him across land and sea. There, in the City of Light, the last man's search will finally end."--Cover, p. 4.… (more)

i feel like joss whedon just loaned the knife he uses to stab people in the heart to a group of really creative and talented but sorta inadequate proselytizers. ( )
  J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
This review is really for the entire Y: Last Man series (as I didn't see the point of reviewing each book individually). I enjoyed the series immensely, particularly its humor and the concept of a world without men and with women in power. Though it might, at times, seem misogynistic (many of the women do terrible things), I thought it worked as a comment on how power can corrupt both women and men.

Despite how enjoyable the series was, however, I did have several problems with the story. First, when the event occurred that wiped out all of the men at the same time, it must have also killed off all the unattractive women. The drawing style of the artists seems to be confined to pretty, well-endowed young women who spend a lot of time at the gym. The explanation for the plague was also pretty weak, though admittedly not really crucial for me (I had to laugh when Yorrick later described the explanation as "vaguely unsatisfying"--the humor was always the saving grace). The ending and "epilogue" were likewise a weak and unsatisfying part of the story. Overall, though, a very thought-provoking and funny graphic series. ( )
  alexlubertozzi | May 24, 2021 |
This did not end the way I wanted it to! :( ( )
  Hyms | Aug 9, 2020 |
Okay, so that ending was all kinds of awesome. And horror. And awesome again.

We get our happy ending, have it turn into the opposite, and then we get it happy again, and then we are subjected to a truly great punchline. You know, as in the answer to a great joke about men and women. :) No spoilers, but Yorick the great escape artist really does it in the end. :)

So we get love, hope, tragedy, more tragedy, humor, a little more tragedy, and a super bitter-sweet end.

I can't imagine a better wrap up. It kinda makes the whole series shine in retrospect. :)

I'm very pleased. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
FUCK THE ENDING. >:( I HATE THIS AND ALL THAT IT STANDS FOR. ( )
  thewanlorn | Feb 24, 2020 |
Like the best sci-fi writers, Guerra and Vaughan weave their story out of canny and provocative speculation over what an ''unmanned'' planet would mean. Yorick and 355's odyssey reveals a world in which the police and fire departments are annihilated, and supermodels take jobs as garbage collectors cleaning up the dead.

Vaughan, Brian K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzán Jr., JoséIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Well, that's unexpected.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,115,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible