Valiant

by Holly Black

Series: Modern Tales of Faerie (2)

Seventeen-year-old Val runs away to New York City, where she falls in with a gang of squatters who live in the city's subway system and consort with faeries, trolls, and other strange creatures.

English (91)  Spanish (1)  All languages (92)
At the moment, all I can say is that it was disgustingly good! ( )
  Sonja.Rosemarie | Sep 9, 2021 |
1.5 This wasn't a book for me. I found it had much potential, but was lacking way to much in plot. Most of the story was just the character doing deliveries for a the fae with a few mentions of deaths. The plot did not kick in until that last few chapters. Those last few chapters were great though, and saved this book from a 1 star rating. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
Just as wonderful the second time around! ( )
  Tip44 | Jun 30, 2020 |
I didn't really like Valiant as much as I liked Tithe; whether because it took a slightly different approach or because of the different characters I'm not sure.

The overall tone was even darker than the first book, which is hard. Drug use has always kind of unnerved me, so the blatant references throughout to how the kids all shot the faerie drug so callously kind of weirded me out.

I didn't like Val as much as Kaye; she seemed more self-pitying and concerned only with herself. But still, she was a strong female and I can't fault that. I liked Luis and Ruth, and at times Ravus, but that was really it.

Still, I've heard that Ironside returns to Kaye and Roiben and mixes the two previous books together, so I'm looking forward to that. ( )
  booksong | Mar 18, 2020 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For I shall learn from flower and leaf
That color every drop they hold,
To change the lifeless wine of grief
To living gold.

SARA TEASDALE, "ALCHEMY"
Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!

-LEWIS CARROLL, THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS
Trying their wings once more in hopeless flight: Blind moths against the wires of window screens. Anything. Anything for a fix of light.

-X. J. KENNEDY, "STREET MOTHS," THE LORDS OF MISRULE
I have found the warm caves in the woods,
filled them with skillets, carvings, shelves,
closets, silks, innumerable goods;
fixed the suppers for the worms and the elves.

-ANNE SEXTON, "HER KIND"
We must not look at goblin men.
We must not buy their fruits:
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots?

-CHRISTINA ROSSETTI, "GOBLIN MARKET"
For my husband, Theo, because he likes angsty, angry girls
The tree woman choked on poison, the slow sap of her blood burning.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,302,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible