The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver

The Bone Collector (1997)

by Jeffery Deaver

Series: Lincoln Rhyme (1)

3,308802,363 (4)100

Why hadn't I read this book sooner?!? Amazing- I vaguely remember watching the movie years ago and the books are always better. But I remember having liked the movie when I had seen it. Can't wait to read the rest in the series- I always love finding a new author and series- I will definitely recommend this book to others! Now I must re-watch the movie to see how close to the book it was. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver; (4 1/2*)

This is a psychological thriller that kept me surprised and on my toes throughout. The Bone Collector is full of twists, turns and suspense. Deaver is a great storyteller and he drew me immediately into the story from the first page. I hated to put it down, hated for it to end and am looking forward to the next Lincoln Rhyme tale.
This one had me creeped out for sure! ( )
  rainpebble | Jun 3, 2018 |
Too unrealistic for me. ( )
  TromboneAl | May 4, 2018 |
3.5 ( )
  Chris.Johnson | Jan 29, 2018 |
A lot better than I expected.

The plot mostly works, the characters mostly work, in grand tradition it's the jaded old cop I love the most.

I am amused by the fact that the male characters get to just be good at their jobs while Amelia Sachs is good at her job and an ex-model and an excellent driver. The author does give her some wonderful character bits so he's mostly forgiven.

I don't quite believe in the villain as they are revealed.

I'm not sure if we're supposed to think that Rhyme has been embittered by his injury, but he comes across as the sort of person who was horrible beforehand.

The writing varies from good to solid to the occasional infodump. There's a few of the science bits that I am deeply dubious of, and the big emotional scene does come across a bit, "level up - you have now unlocked my deep dark backstory."

It's not as much as a biblionasty as you might imagine, and, if thrillers are your thing, it's definitely worth a read. ( )
  redfiona | Jan 17, 2018 |

Deaver, Jefferyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Massaron S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massaron, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The present in New York is so powerful that the past is lost. - John Jay Chapman
For my family, Dee, Danny, Julie, Ethel, and Nelson...Apples don't fall far. And for Diana too.
She wanted only to sleep.

Lincoln Rhyme was once one of the nation's most brilliant criminologists, a genius in the field of forensics. Now an accident has left his physically crippled and emotionally stunted. But he's about to be dragged into the most explosive case of his already distinguished career. A diabolical killer known as the Bone Collector has been stalking unsuspecting prey on the streets of New York, and it will take all of Rhyme's investigative skills to stop him.

With beautiful police detective Amelia Sachs at his side, Rhyme must uncover a labyrinth of clues to prevent the next grisly crime. But a race against the clock becomes a terrifying battle of wits as Rhyme is drawn, step by chilling step, into the mind of a monstrous madman who won't stop until he has stripped life down to raw bone...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451188454, Mass Market Paperback)

The hero of Jeffery Deaver's thriller The Bone Collector is Lincoln Rhyme, a forensic scientist known to his peers as "the world's foremost criminalist." Rhyme will need all his reason--and his considerable stock of high-tech tools--about him to solve this latest brain-twister: a serial killer with method to his madness. In tried and true thriller fashion, the killer's crimes are described in lurid detail, as is the astounding technological equipment with which Rhyme examines the evidence--everything from an energy-dispersive x-ray unit to a mass spectrometer.

Every fictional detective has his or her gimmick, from Sherlock Holmes's violin to Nero Wolf's orchids, and Rhyme is no exception. He is a quadriplegic who can move nothing but a single finger. Gadget-philes will be in seventh heaven reading about Lincoln Rhyme's tools; other readers might feel the book could do with a few more plausible characters and a little less technology.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:17 -0400)

Once the nation's foremost criminologist and the ex-head of NYPD forensics, quadriplegic Lincoln Rhyme abandons his forced retirement and joins forces with rookie cop Amelia Sachs to track down a vicious serial killer. A paralyzed New York detective is talked out of committing suicide to hunt for a cab driver who tortures and kills. The detective, Lincoln Rhyme, can only move his head so he is paired with police beauty Amelia Sachs. Together they go after the killer who tantalizes police with clues to his next murder. By the author of A Maiden's Grave.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,941,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible