The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare

The Bronze Bow (1961)

by Elizabeth George Speare

2,493382,446 (4.06)2 / 87

5439. The Bronze Bow, by Elizabeth George Speare (read 1 Feb 2017) (Newbery winner in 1962) This is the 12th Newbery winner I have read. It is an artless work of fiction, not too well written, telling of Daniel, a Jewish youth living in the time of Jesus' public life, who is livid with hate of the Romans occupying his country. He has a very shy sister who is befriended by a Roman soldier, and when Daniel learns of this he is ready to kill the soldier. The book ends somewhat spectacularly by Daniel seeing that love is better than hate, though through most of the story Daniel, though impressed by Jesus, clings to his hate. ( )
  Schmerguls | Feb 1, 2017 |
I read this in the last two days, while sick in bed. It is part of my daughter's reading list for our Ancient Rome study. I wasn't expecting this book to be so full of intrigue, it even kept me up late despite feeling tired and sick. Very well written piece of historical fiction about an angry young zealot in ancient Rome who meets Jesus. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
I read this book when I was in middle school, so I would probably use this book in either 5th grade or higher. It is a chapter book and it does contain information about the story of Jesus. If you were in the private schools most children would already know that. If you were in public schools (and they allowed this book) then you might have to give some background knowledge as to who Jesus was and his story. ( )
  vross316 | Apr 7, 2016 |
First read this when I was teaching 6th grade; I made this one of their required reading books. Shows how hatred can destroy a person and those around him. The story also shows how Jesus' presence can drastically change that person filled with hate, if he chooses to love others before himself. Thoroughly enjoyed this story! ( )
  Desdelyn | Jan 13, 2016 |
Read my review of the audiobook version of this 1962 Newbery Medalist, a coming-of-age story set in Galilee during the time of Jesus, at http://newberryproject.blogspot.com/2008/10/bronze-bow-1962.html.
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |

Elizabeth George Speareprimary authorall editionscalculated
von Buhler, CynthiaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A boy stood on the path of the mountain overlooking the sea.

He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. –from the Song of David (2 Samuel 22:35)
The Bronze Bow, written by Elizabeth George Speare (author of The Witch of Blackbird Pond) won the Newbery Medal in 1962. This gripping, action-packed novel tells the story of eighteen-year-old Daniel bar Jamin—a fierce, hotheaded young man bent on revenging his father’s death by forcing the Romans from his land of Israel. Daniel’s palpable hatred for Romans wanes only when he starts to hear the gentle lessons of the traveling carpenter, Jesus of Nazareth. A fast-paced, suspenseful, vividly wrought tale of friendship, loyalty, the idea of home, community . . . and ultimately, as Jesus says to Daniel on page 224: “Can’t you see, Daniel, it is hate that is the enemy? Not men. Hate does not die with killing. It only springs up a hundredfold. The only thing stronger than hate is love.” A powerful, relevant read in turbulent times.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:51 -0400)

When the Romans brutally kill Daniel bar Jamin's father, the young Palestinian searches for a leader to drive them out, but comes to realize that love may be a more powerful weapon than hate.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,535,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible