Having lived on a world that hosts one of the galaxy's premier educational institutions, Theo Waitley finds her life disrupted by her professor mother's decision to relocate her to faculty housing, where she is embroiled in school politics.
    Dragonsinger: Harper of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (timepiece)
    timepiece: Another novel in which a teenager discovers that her problems lie in her stifling environment, not in herself - and that there are people elsewhere who appreciate her talents and contributions.
    Fault Lines by Kelly Jennings (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The Pirians in Fault Lines remind me of the Liadens, and the universes seem similar. Both are fun reads with female protagonists and plenty of action!
    God Stalk by P. C. Hodgell (SunnySD)
    The City Who Fought by Anne McCaffrey (SunnySD)

I waited so long for this book and I was somewhat disappointed. I am used to enjoying every word on every page of a Liaden novel. The first 180 pages or so of this one was just miserable stuff I had to slog through to get to the better half of the story. It was just to show that Theo was a misfit and came from a big brother type planet. It could have been done in much fewer pages. Also the entire story about the bad scholarship was just plain boring. Didn't care a bit, only interested in Theo and pilots. Jen Sar/Daav was a bit of an ass here. His character seemed odd compared to how it was in the other books. I never did understand the whole go off and leave your five year old son to achieve balance by teaching cultural diversity to humans thing anyway. Also how does that work? Having a mistress/lover while your true love/lifemate is sharing your head? The part of the story with the Simples and the plot to destroy the university seemed contrived. But again I wasn't interested and the authors didn't make me interested. It just seemed to take time away from Theo. Hoping the next one will be more focused. I want pilots and Korval. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
I'm glad that Lee & Miller are back in Liaden, because their excursion into an origin story was disappointing.

Unfortunately, this book is for devotees only, maybe a side effect of the on-line publishing and revision by subscription.

It is great to be back in this world, but I wish we had a story. We follow Theo through the school day and various experiences (not quite "adventures") until she gets back. She makes a few decisions to defy her mother, but those turn out to be reasonable choices. She's exceptional and is still figuring it out. That's about it.

This feels like a vastly expanded character study for a later Liaden "thrills and romance" book. It is 100 pages until we get something that moves the plot forward and 200 until we get a twist. The last third of the book picks up tempo a bit.

Finally, I'm just not convinced about Theo. Someone who's lived in that society her whole life shouldn't be that clueless and Lee & Miller give some sort of "she's special" hint and go on. And how can she be startled by the spartan apartment when all her friends live in identical ones?

None of the Liaden background is explained, so a lot of this will go over the heads of people new to the series, an odd decision for their first book with a major publisher. You get that "Pilot" is special, but no one explains "Scout" or "Balance", and there is no indication that Theo has any idea what that means.

The non-Theo characters are better drawn than Theo and the worldbuilding is fine, if a little over-the-top.

I'm hoping that this new series will eventually lift off, but this first book is a ground-hugger. ( )
  wunder | Feb 3, 2022 |
At the age of fifteen, Theo Waitely is disconsolate at having to leave her Father's house in the suburbs to accompany her Mother to the Wall, the area occupied by the dedicated scholars of Delgado University. Even more disconcerting, she isn't allowed to call Jen Sar Kiladi, the man she's has always regarded as her father, as 'Father' anymore: according to the laws of Delgado a minor child is totally under a Mother's control. In her new home, Theo struggles more than ever to conform. Already flagged as having 'physical limitations', in reality nothing more than clumsiness, but limitations which in the safety conscious and stultifying world of Delgado are more of a problem than might be expected. A seemingly straightforward sporting accident starts to have menacing overtones as the all seeing Safety warns Theo: 'You need to have a serious talk with your mentor, Ms Waitley. You can't help having physical limitations. However you do have an obligation to society to ensure that your limitations don't harm other people.'

In the meantime, Theo's mother Kamele is wrestling with problems of her own, as discovery of some falsified documents in the University library suggests the presence of a conspiracy which threatens the integrity of the University as a whole, and necessitates a trip to the very different planet of Melchiza.

This is a fun read, but rather more of a YA book than the [Agent of Change] sequence which is where I began with the Liaden Universe. ( )
  SandDune | Jan 14, 2020 |
Theo learns about herself and the wider world, and that even a safe world like her Delgado birthplace can present hazards. ( )
  quondame | Oct 1, 2019 |
Fledgling by Sharon Lee and Steve Millar is a coming-of-age tale set partly in the academian world of Delgado, one of the Liaden Universe’s premier institutions of higher learning. It took me a little reading to become immersed in this setting and to be comfortable with these new characters after mostly reading about Clan Korval conflicts starring the fablous foursome of Val Con, Miri, Shan and Priscilla.

Theo Waitley as introduced here is a clumsy, awkward teenage who is being raised in a strict academic setting. It isn’t until she accompanies her mother on a trip to the planet Melchiza that she develops her abilities and that it is her destiny to become a starship pilot. While her parents spend most of the novel investigating a conspiracy involving fraud, Theo tries to understand what is expected of her and what she wants for herself.

By the end of the book I had a better understanding of the connections that are being made here. I suspect that I started this section of the series slightly out of order, but the connection to Clan Korval is now apparent. Fledgling is a character driven space opera with an interesting blend of adolescent and adult perspectives, and I am now quite eager to spend more time with Theo in the future. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 23, 2019 |

Lee, Sharonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, Stevemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Pollack, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, EileenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Why do I have to go with her?" Theo demanded, and winced at the quaver in her voice.

Sharon Lee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,133,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible