The Polar Express (1985)

by Chris Van Allsburg

A magical train ride on Christmas Eve takes a boy to the North Pole to receive a special gift from Santa Claus.

English (443)  Japanese (1)  All languages (444)
One of my childhood favorites! A great bed-time story. ( )
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
A young boy is lying awake on Christmas eve when he is welcomed by the Polar Express Train. He boards the train along with many other children and head for the North Pole where he will be able to meet Santa Clause and make his Christmas Wish. They face many adventures on their journey and discovers the spirit of Christmas. This story has become a treasured holiday tradition. ( )
  BeckyP94 | Feb 20, 2022 |
I started doing a thing with my homeroom students where I read them a children's book every Monday. None of them knew that Polar Express was a book--they all knew the movie. I couldn't remember ever reading the book (I like Chris Van Allsburg, but I'd only read lesser-known works of his). So I read this to my class. In April. They enjoyed it. ( )
  ms_rowse | Jan 1, 2022 |
This is a lovely Christmas story and the art style fits so perfectly with the feel of the book. ( )
  ChelseaVK | Dec 10, 2021 |
I have always loved this story. I would beg my mom to read it as soon as Thanksgiving was over. I still read it every Christmas:) ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
Mr. Van Allsburg works effectively combining the sinister and the sentimental, but it would take a poet-sociologist to explain precisely why these dark, moody sculptural pastels somehow evoke feelings of glad tidings and joy.

Chris Van Allsburgprimary authorall editionscalculated
Neeson, LiamNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Karen
On Christmas Eve, many years ago, I lay quietly in my bed.
"Soon there were no more lights to be seen. We traveled through cold, dark forests, where lean wolves roamed and white-tailed rabbits hid from our train as it thundered through the quiet wilderness."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,391,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible