The Schwa was Here by Neal Shusterman

The Schwa was Here (2004)

by Neal Shusterman

English (46)  Danish (1)  All (47)
This was a cute read with some nice lessons. It's audience is a little young for me but I enjoy Neal Shusterman so much that I thought I would try it out. I wasn't disappointed. Shusterman has a way with words that is very enjoyable. ( )
  Kassilem | Apr 29, 2017 |
Great read. The quiet hero, the Schwa, is always there when you need him! ( )
  trc2017 | Apr 13, 2017 |
I have read a lot of Shusterman books and this is definitely a turn from his norm. The Schwa was Here is realistic fiction, at least I think that is where it fits in. He said he wrote this story after presenting at a school where during the Q & A, the teacher suggested he call on a quiet boy with his hand raised. She said he had his hand up the whole time and Neal thought to himself, that he had not even noticet the boy. The Schwa is a teen boy who is overlooked by parents, peers, teacher and people on the street. Half the time the teacher doesn't even mark him present or absent in school. to be continued... ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Just about perfect, and I do recommend it to everyone who is looking for a fresh read. A little offbeat, it requires a reader to be patient with the mix of what seems like fantasy with what is not actually mundane.

Not a cliche in the book - nothing is predictable - but nothing is shocking or weird, either. Even when it was 'over' there was the acknowledgement that real life doesn't tie a bow on an adventure, so why should a story?

No character is stock - and yet they're all so authentically realized that we feel we know them as well as we know our favorite cousins.

Witty and clever without being deliberately 'funny.' Graceful and evocative writing style that is not the least purple.

[M]y selfish streak had run its course, and my conscience kicked in with a vengeance."

It stands alone, but there is a sequel and I'm going to look for it.

If you feel the need to think about it in comparison to other books, I can say that the narrator's character and the setting reminded me of [b:It's Like This, Cat|2873684|It's Like This, Cat|Emily Cheney Neville|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348074248s/2873684.jpg|803968], the not quite fantastic elements reminded me of some of the works by [a:Daniel Pinkwater|20575|Daniel Pinkwater|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1218645652p2/20575.jpg], and the little bits of angst reminded me of a less whiny & self-centered [b:The Catcher in the Rye|5107|The Catcher in the Rye|J.D. Salinger|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349928703s/5107.jpg|3036731]." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I believe this book would be a great read for upper elementary and middle school classrooms, as well as teachers. Teachers can connect this book to students they may have in their classrooms that are quiet, engaged, and self-sufficient. Since so much of a teacher's time is occupied by high-needs students, these "invisible" students are often overlooked. This book can help teachers understand these students and remind them to provide sufficient attention. I think this book would also be beneficial for upper elementary and middle school students as a group read in an English classroom. This book could be used to teach about differences and feelings. After reading the book, the students could write in their journals about times they have felt invisible or put on a facade in order to connect with the characters in the book.
  Emily.Clark | Feb 21, 2016 |
I don't really remember when I first met the Schwa, he was just kind of always there, like the killer potholes on Avenue U or the Afghans barking out the windows above Crawley's restaurant.

They say his clothes blend into the background, no matter where he stands. They say a lot of things about the Schwa, but one thing?s for sure: no one ever noticed him. Except me. My name is Antsy Bonano? and I was the one who realized the Schwa was ?functionally invisible? and used him to make some big bucks. But I was also the one who caused him more grief than a friend should. So if you all just shut up and listen, I?ll tell you everything there is to know about the Schwa, from how he got his name, to what really happened with his mom. I?ll spill everything. Unless, of course, ?the Schwa Effect? wipes him out of my brain before I?m done?.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:30 -0400)

A Brooklyn eighth-grader nicknamed Antsy befriends the Schwa, an "invisible-ish" boy who is tired of blending into his surroundings and going unnoticed by nearly everyone.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,233,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible