The Schwa was Here by Neal Shusterman

The Schwa was Here (2004)

by Neal Shusterman

English (44)  Danish (1)  All languages (45)
Just about perfect, and I do recommend it to everyone who is looking for a fresh read. A little offbeat, it requires a reader to be patient with the mix of what seems like fantasy with what is not actually mundane.

Not a cliche in the book - nothing is predictable - but nothing is shocking or weird, either. Even when it was 'over' there was the acknowledgement that real life doesn't tie a bow on an adventure, so why should a story?

No character is stock - and yet they're all so authentically realized that we feel we know them as well as we know our favorite cousins.

Witty and clever without being deliberately 'funny.' Graceful and evocative writing style that is not the least purple.

[M]y selfish streak had run its course, and my conscience kicked in with a vengeance."

It stands alone, but there is a sequel and I'm going to look for it.

If you feel the need to think about it in comparison to other books, I can say that the narrator's character and the setting reminded me of [b:It's Like This, Cat|2873684|It's Like This, Cat|Emily Cheney Neville|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348074248s/2873684.jpg|803968], the not quite fantastic elements reminded me of some of the works by [a:Daniel Pinkwater|20575|Daniel Pinkwater|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1218645652p2/20575.jpg], and the little bits of angst reminded me of a less whiny & self-centered [b:The Catcher in the Rye|5107|The Catcher in the Rye|J.D. Salinger|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349928703s/5107.jpg|3036731]." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I believe this book would be a great read for upper elementary and middle school classrooms, as well as teachers. Teachers can connect this book to students they may have in their classrooms that are quiet, engaged, and self-sufficient. Since so much of a teacher's time is occupied by high-needs students, these "invisible" students are often overlooked. This book can help teachers understand these students and remind them to provide sufficient attention. I think this book would also be beneficial for upper elementary and middle school students as a group read in an English classroom. This book could be used to teach about differences and feelings. After reading the book, the students could write in their journals about times they have felt invisible or put on a facade in order to connect with the characters in the book.
  Emily.Clark | Feb 21, 2016 |
(4.5)
  mrsforrest | Oct 15, 2014 |
Apparently books aimed for the younger teen boy are not my cup of tea. I didn't hate this book, but I didn't love it either. Told from the perspective of Antsy, the story tells of the his new friend, The Schwa. The Schwa has a very indistinct personality that is quite a problem most of the time. It is a talent other times. The method by which he chooses to deal with this problem moves the story ahead. The story is funny and sad with a pretty tidy happy ending. It is a unique story with interesting and entertaining characters. I'd recommend this to teens that who don't love to read and want a simple, but funny story about kids with whom they can identify. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 21, 2013 |
While most of us probably don't have acqaintances who have perfected the art of fading into the background like Calvin Schwa, this story of his friendship with Antsy will speak to many teenagers who feel unnoticed. The audio version, read by the author, is a delight to listen to. Give this to middle school students who like their humor offbeat, their characters quirky, and a story that leaves plenty to think about at the end. ( )
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |
I don't really remember when I first met the Schwa, he was just kind of always there, like the killer potholes on Avenue U or the Afghans barking out the windows above Crawley's restaurant.

They say his clothes blend into the background, no matter where he stands. They say a lot of things about the Schwa, but one thing?s for sure: no one ever noticed him. Except me. My name is Antsy Bonano? and I was the one who realized the Schwa was ?functionally invisible? and used him to make some big bucks. But I was also the one who caused him more grief than a friend should. So if you all just shut up and listen, I?ll tell you everything there is to know about the Schwa, from how he got his name, to what really happened with his mom. I?ll spill everything. Unless, of course, ?the Schwa Effect? wipes him out of my brain before I?m done?.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:30 -0400)

A Brooklyn eighth-grader nicknamed Antsy befriends the Schwa, an "invisible-ish" boy who is tired of blending into his surroundings and going unnoticed by nearly everyone.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,367,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible