Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life (1991)

by Donald S. Whitney

Drawn from a rich heritage, Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Lifewill guide you through a carefully selected array of disciplines. By illustrating why the disciplines are important, showing how each one will help you grow in godliness, and offering practical suggestions for cultivating them, Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Lifewill provide you with a refreshing opportunity to become more like Christ and grow in character and maturity. Now updated and revised to equip a new generation of readers, this anniversary edition features in-depth discussions on each of the key disciplines.… (more)

Excellent! Discipline has nearly become a dirty word but it is the only way to true freedom. This book is extremely practical in helping cultivate a truly rich and authentic spiritual life. ( )
  joshcrouse3 | Sep 17, 2021 |
Case 14 shelf 4
  semoffat | Sep 1, 2021 |
Very helpful and balanced (doing these things as mere duty will be useless) look at a number of disciplines that a believer will gain benefit from. A few of the practices were quite new ideas for me and have challenged me significantly. Very worthwhile. ( )
  danhibbert | Sep 9, 2019 |
freedom to grow in godliness_ to naturally express Christ's character through your own personality_is in large part dependent on a deliberate cultivation of the Spiritual Disciplines
  ODBCchili | Jul 12, 2019 |
This is a book my church read for our Sunday teaching time. Our pastor and one of our other teachers led discussion of most of the chapters after the assigned reading. Whitney addresses the spiritual disciplines in use by the Christian church where he finds Scriptural warrant. So, in reading this book, one may find a particular discipline in use by one of the Christian traditions that is not here addressed. One other point Whitney makes is the purpose of the Spiritual Disciplines is "for the purpose of Godliness". And he repeats this, in all of the chapter titles.

Chapters include: Spiritual Disciplines..., Bible Intake..., Prayer..., Worship..., Evangelism..., Serving..., Stewardship..., Fasting..., Silence and Solitude..., Journaling..., Learning..., and Perseverance. Three of these disciplines seem to receive little treatment by the Western church in modern times. I have not heard much preached or seen much written on Fasting, Silence, or Journaling, even though I believe they are important, and are both encouraged in Scripture. I understand that, perhaps, the others are more important, or receive greater Biblical treatment, but I do appreciate their inclusion.

I want to make note of three aspects of Whitney's book. First, I especially appreciate the inline references and allusions to Scripture text. This makes it easier to find the context. Secondly, I appreciate his conversational, pastoral, style. He did serve in pastoral ministry for 19 years, and that does come through in his writing. It is encouraging to hear both the authority of scripture and the passion of experience. Finally, Whitney provides resources for additional benefit. He mentions various texts, titles and authors in supporting his commendations, and these are further footnoted and indexed in the appendices.
  dandelionsmith | Oct 7, 2018 |

Donald S. Whitneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Packer, J. I.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,291,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible