The Land of Women by Regina McBride

The Land of Women

by Regina McBride

I almost gave up on this novel after a few chapters but I persisted. It did have some poetic language and I enjoyed that and the story was interesting. I take on board what Lcwilson45 says and I agree up to a point but I can't say I would highly recommend it, sorry. ( )
  alisonb60 | Jun 22, 2011 |
Beautifully written novel about Fiona and her mother Jane. The Irish air, water and mist are characters as much as these women and the men they love. The language is poetic, the story tinged with pagan magic...highly recommended. I definitely plan to read more of her work. ( )
  Lcwilson45 | Nov 10, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074322888X, Paperback)

Akin to Alice McDermott, Regina McBride has crafted a gem that explores exile and memory, and the ways in which passion transcends time and distance.

She tries to remember her mother's voice and the pitch and treble of it passes through her; the rhythm of it so clear that for a moment they are...connected by frail strings.

So begins The Land of Women, and we are swept into Fiona O'Faolain's last summer in Ireland, the season of her burgeoning sexuality. It is a time, too, when mother and daughter step toward friendship among the voluminous gowns they make for local brides. Yet that giddy summer also delivers betrayal. Fiona's journey from the shame that ended her girlhood takes her to Santa Fe and to Carlos Aragon, a restorer of antiquities, whose ancestry is mysteriously linked to hers. As he explores their pasts with the precision of an artisan, Fiona must face her excruciating memory.

In The Land of Women the past lives in the present, and physical and emotional geography touch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:53 -0400)

"In The Land of Women we are swept into Fiona O'Faolain's last summer in Ireland, the season of her burgeoning sexuality. It is a time, too, when mother and daughter step toward friendship among the voluminous gowns they make for local brides. Yet that giddy summer also delivers betrayal. Fiona's journey from the shame that ended her girlhood takes her to Santa Fe and to Carlos Aragon, a restorer of antiquities, whose ancestry is mysteriously linked to hers. As he explores their pasts with the precision of an artisan, Fiona must face her excruciating memory."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,295,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible