Hercule Poirot's Casebook: The Complete…

Hercule Poirot's Casebook: The Complete Short Stories (1984)

by Agatha Christie

At last, a single volume that gathers together all of the short stories featuring Agatha Christie's most famous creation: Hercule Poirot. The dapper, mustache-twirling little Belgian with the egg-shaped head and curious mannerisms has solved some of the most puzzling crimes of the century--and, in his own humble opinion, is "probably the greatest detective in the world." In this complete collection of stories, ranging from short tales to novellas, Poirot faces violent murders, poisonings, kidnappings, and thefts--all solved with his characteristic panache. Only Agatha Christie could have devised cases worthy of Hercule Poirot's skill and "little gray cells." --… (more)

One must like Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot to appreciate this large volume of murder mysteries. This was my grandfather's book and I kept it in memory of him. I enjoy Miss Marple more than Hercule, but the stories this this book are classic Agatha Christie. ( )
  rcalbright | Sep 12, 2017 |
I have always been a fan of detective stories and like thousands of other people, my childhood hero was Sherlock Holmes (I think deep down, he still is my hero!). This Hercule Poirot collection was the first time I tried Poirot and I LIKED him! Hercule Poirot is an eccentric old man with such a passion towards order and rational thoughts and he has such a nice sense of humour! This fat book has 51 stories and it took me quite a long time to finish it. I would say about 26-27 stories were really good. Sad that the rest of the stories were based on the similar plots and were repetitive. Otherwise, I would have gone for a '5 Stars'. The name 'Hercule' is derived from 'Hercules'/ 'Heracles', the demigod in Greek mythology. Christie wanted to see her detective mentally as strong as Hercules physically was. Thus comes the name. Like the Greek demigod, Hercule Poirot also did 12 'grand labours' and the stories are named after the 'Labours of Hercules'. The idea is a great one, no doubt but not all the 'labours' are 'great' equally. I'd like to mention some of my favorite stories form this collection like 'Cornish Mystery', 'The Incredible Theft', 'Under Dog', 'The Capture of Cerberus' etc. One other thing I must say. Agatha Christie was a very good observer of her time. She incorporated love, murder, poison, lust, cocaine, kidnap and what not in her stories. Also her writings are very spontaneous. Like I said, she was very smart lady. So, Holmes or Poirot? I think I won't go for a comparison between these two. They both are great detectives in their own style. They both use the 'rationalization' technique. While Holmes is a reckless one, Poirot is very 'reserved'. Solving a problem sitting in his armchair, that's more like Poirot. I enjoyed the read thoroughly. Viva La Poirot! ( )
  Shaker07 | May 18, 2017 |
Enjoyable enough. Not Christie's best, but if you love Poirot (and I very much do), this is a nice big fun collection. ( )
  Hanneri | Dec 23, 2016 |
My father loves these stories, and the last time we were at his place for a visit, he loaned a copy of this book to my son. He read it in a single sitting and loaned it to my other son. I finally got around to reading it and I can't honestly say why I liked it as much as I did. The the dialog is artificial, the characters are unbelievable, and the stories vary between predictable and unlikely. But I enjoyed each and every one of them. Maybe it's the character of Poirot, the pompous and prissy Belgian private investigator whose self absorption and superior pretensions certainly make him an ass by almost anyone's standards, but he has no idea he's an ass and you can't help sharing his unique perspective. Yeah, I recommend this book. Just don't ask me why. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Wonderful collection, wonderful writing, and of course the reader gets to spend time with M. Poirot. Christie is one of the greatest writer's of the last century and her talent is on show in this collection. M. Poirot solves everything from blackmail to murder. What helps to keep the stories from just blending into each other is that she changes perspective from one story to the next. Sometimes M. Poirot does not even come into the story until it is almost done. Luckily Ms. Christie is a good enough author that she can pull this off. My favorite is Wasps' Nest where Poirot stops both a murder and a suicide. He saves a man's soul. If you have never read M. Poirot this could be a good place to start but as with everything that I have read from Christie, you can just pick it up and go from there.

I give this collection a Five out of Five stars. ( )
1 vote lrainey | May 10, 2016 |

The Complete Hercule Poirot Short Stories, Volume I by Agatha Christie

The Complete Hercule Poirot Short Stories: Volume 2 by Agatha Christie

The Complete Hercule Poirot Short Stories: Volume 3 by Agatha Christie

Poirot Investigates by Agatha Christie

The Adventure of 'The Western Star' [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Adventure of the Cheap Flat (SS) by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Mystery of Hunter's Lodge (Short Story) by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Million Dollar Bond Robbery [Short Story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Kidnapped Prime Minister [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Adventure of the Italian Nobleman [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Case of the Missing Will (Short Story) by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Chocolate Box [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Veiled Lady [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Lost Mine [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

Murder in the Mews and Other Stories by Agatha Christie

Murder in the Mews [Short Story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Incredible Theft [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

Dead Man's Mirror [Short Story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

Triangle at Rhodes by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Labours of Hercules by Agatha Christie

The Nemean Lion [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Lernaean Hydra [short stories] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Arcadian Deer [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Erymanthian Boar [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The labours of Hercules, volume 1: The Nemean Lion by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The labours of Hercules, volume 2: The Cretan Bull by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Augean Stables [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Stymphalean Birds [short stories] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Cretan Bull [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Labours of Hercules, volume 3: The Apples of the Hesperides by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Girdle of Hippolyta [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

Flock of Geryon [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Apples of the Hesperides [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Capture of Cerberus & The Incident of the Dog's Ball by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Labours of Hercules (Part 1 of 2) by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Adventure Of The Christmas Pudding by Agatha Christie

The Under Dog [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding: A Hercule Poirot Short Story by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Mystery of the Spanish Chest [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

Four and Twenty Blackbirds [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Dream by Agatha Christie (indirect)

Greenshaw's Folly [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

Poirot's Early Cases by Agatha Christie

The Affair at the Victory Ball [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Adventure of the Clapham Cook [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Cornish Mystery [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Adventure of Johnnie Waverly [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Double Clue [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The King of Clubs [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Lemesurier Inheritance [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Plymouth Express [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Submarine Plans [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Third Floor Flat [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

Double Sin [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Market Basing Mystery [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

Wasps' Nest [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

Problem at Sea [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

How Does Your Garden Grow? [short story] by Agatha Christie (indirect)

The Mystery of the Baghdad Chest [short story] by Agatha Christie

Yellow Iris [short story] by Agatha Christie

The Theft of the Royal Ruby [short story] by Agatha Christie

Has the adaptation

I was standing at the window of Poirot's rooms looking out idly on the street below.
This work contains the 51 complete Hercule Poirot short stories, all of them previously published.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,325,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible