Otherness by David Brin

Otherness

by David Brin

English (9)  French (1)  All (10)
The essays get just a titch political - Brin is opinionated. ?ŠBut he doesn't bombast; he explores what we know to hypothesize what we should consider.
The stories are a lot of fun... but not so much humorous or even ironic (though they show traces of that) as anjoyable & temporarily satisfying, like hamburgers. ?áThought-provoking might be a bit too strong, though, imo--I'd rather save that for those that truly stick with me, or at least will satiate for longer, like pot roast. ?áI've been done with this for a day, and as I write I'm flipping through and having too much trouble recalling each story. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The story was interesting, but I am cutting down on my collection and something has to go out. ( )
  librisissimo | May 28, 2016 |
NIL
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
A little scifi, and a little non-fiction. This book mixes some scifi short stories and Brin's reflections on technology and society. Highly recommended! ( )
  Karlstar | Oct 17, 2009 |
An interesting collection of short stories on the nature of humanity. It could have been titled "(m)otherness", because many of the stories are extensive meditations on the process and meaning of motherhood. ( )
  argyriou | Sep 17, 2007 |

David Brinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gambino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ben, our twenty-first-century hero

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553295284, Mass Market Paperback)

From multiple award-winning author David Brin comes this extraordinary collection of tales and essays of the near and distant future, as humans and aliens encounter the secrets of the cosmos--and of their own existence.  In "Dr. Pak's Preschool" a woman discovers that her baby has been called upon to work while still in the womb.  In "NatuLife" a married couple finds their relationship threatened by the wonders of sex by simulation.  In "Sshhh . . . " the arrival of benevolent aliens on Earth leads to frenzy, madness . . . and unimaginable joy.  In "Bubbles" a sentient starcraft reaches the limits of the universe--and dares to go beyond.  These are but a few of the challenging speculations in Otherness, from the pen of an author whose urgent and compelling imaginative fiction challenges us to wonder at the shape and the nature of the universe--as well as at its future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:26 -0400)

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,124,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible