Otherness

by David Brin

A wide-ranging and thought-provoking collection of short stories which confirms David Brin as one of the foremost writers of science fiction. It brings together stories like 'The Giving Plague' and 'Dr Pak's Preschool' which are among the most powerful and affecting of recent years. Brin's is an eloquent, incisive voice, always dealing with profound ideas and important issues, taking the genre to new heights.… (more)

English (10)  French (1)  All languages (11)
Over all a good collection of short stories, but the reason I gave it 4 stars was "The Giving Plague." I thought that one was great. ( )
  ShaneBX | Feb 4, 2020 |
The essays get just a titch political - Brin is opinionated. ?But he doesn't bombast; he explores what we know to hypothesize what we should consider.
The stories are a lot of fun... but not so much humorous or even ironic (though they show traces of that) as anjoyable & temporarily satisfying, like hamburgers. ?áThought-provoking might be a bit too strong, though, imo--I'd rather save that for those that truly stick with me, or at least will satiate for longer, like pot roast. ?áI've been done with this for a day, and as I write I'm flipping through and having too much trouble recalling each story. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The story was interesting, but I am cutting down on my collection and something has to go out. ( )
  librisissimo | May 28, 2016 |
NIL
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
A little scifi, and a little non-fiction. This book mixes some scifi short stories and Brin's reflections on technology and society. Highly recommended! ( )
  Karlstar | Oct 17, 2009 |

Brin, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gambino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ben, our twenty-first-century hero

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,394,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible