August: Osage County by Tracy Letts

August: Osage County (2007)

by Tracy Letts

I was uncertain about this play when I first saw it. A second viewing (the film) left me somewhat more positive. It is in the reading that I have finally come to realize the weight of this play (and I am not referring to the 3.5 hour running time; I was aware of that from the first viewing). The story of a dysfunctional family in Pawhuska, Oklahoma, sounds genuine. It is an honest story, full of ordinary everyday unhappiness and conflict. The characters are like those in a Sam Shepherd play: deeply flawed, relentlessly narcissistic, unable to find their way out of problems of their own making, and blaming the world at large for everything that went wrong. For the most part, the characters veer between sympathetic and down-right unlikable, much like people in real life. While this family is different from other dysfunctional families, if you came from one, you will certainly recognize the emotional torture, even if the situations are different. It is complex, with subplot on top of subplot, and in the end, as true a statement about the meaninglessness of life as any absurdist writer ever achieved - and doing it all in a realist setting. Definitely worth the investment of time. ( )
  Devil_llama | Dec 31, 2017 |
I only discovered this story after learning that a smorgasbord full of some of my favorite actors and actresses were in town to bring Letts story to film. It is dark and painful and very funny. I was born and raised in the area so I was already familiar with the setting, though my perspective is far less bleak. I thought this would be my favorite part of the play, but I was enthralled by the characters and the family dynamics the most. They were fascinating. ( )
  mariannem85 | Oct 5, 2017 |
Disfunctional family+fighting+dark humour= great play/book ( )
  dom76 | Jan 8, 2016 |
Loved it! So much family dysfunction in such a short play. Officially my favorite play ever! I can honestly say that I don't want to be like any of these women when I "grow up". My family is the Waltons compared to this family! Night Mom. Goodnight Dad. See you in the morning my dear brothers. Fade out from a Piper Family reunion with no suicides, no discovery of lovers being related & no one being threatened with a stay in rehab or an institution. ( )
  PiperUp | Aug 14, 2015 |
Tracey Letts' - August: Osage County is definitely a dark one. A severely dysfunctional family can barely get along in the best of situations. A family who leaves behind their mother Violet, the matriarch of the family, with no question on whether or not they should return. A fantastic one without a doubt. ( )
  jesse_valli | Jul 19, 2015 |
For Dad
"Life is very long".

[This drama] is a portrait of the dysfunctional American family at its finest-and absolute worst. When the patriarch of the Weston clan disappears one hot summer night, the family reunites at the Oklahoma homestead, where long-held secrets are unflinchingly and uproariously revealed.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,198,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible