The Water Room (Bryant & May Mysteries) by…

The Water Room (Bryant & May Mysteries) (2004)

by Christopher Fowler

Series: Bryant and May (2)

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (benfulton)
    benfulton: Explorations of the hidden parts of London.

When an elderly woman drowns in her dry basement, Bryant and May of London's Peculiar Crimes Unit learns more about the city's underground rivers than they ever expected. As is common in this series, the storyline is not one but many, all spreading across the novel in an creeper plant way - if you're looking for straight mystery, look elsewhere. I love the main characters in this series as they feel so original - aged, oddball detectives aren't that common - and that they are all so diverse. Also, the historical information that you learn through the story is very interesting and never feels like info-dumping. Wonderful series that I look forward to continuing. ( )
  -Eva- | Jul 21, 2018 |
This is a quirky novel as all Peculiar Crimes Unit stories are. I think you either enjoy or you don't depending on your sense of humour etc. The author gives a lot of background information, some of which you may be interested in and some you may not. Good story with great characters. ( )
  scot2 | Jul 4, 2018 |
An interesting premise, and the leads are growing on me, but it once again uses character disenfranchisement as an excuse or cover for some significant plot flaws and weaknesses. At this point, the series is interesting and continues to show promise, but nowhere near to the point where I'm feeling compelled to rush out and get the next book Right This Very Minute. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
Less immersive than the first one in the series. I think I was thrown every time a character started in on history, which was frequent.

Still a liked the pace (aside from the above). The mysteries themselves were interesting and kept me guessing. the characters of the more junior constables could use some fleshing out, but the old coroner was great! ( )
  yonitdm | Jan 18, 2017 |
This is the second in the Bryant and May series. As our two old soldiers of the Peculiar Crimes Unit of London's Metropolitan Police begin to adjust to their new headquarters, and their odd new assignment to the security division of MI7, a friend of Bryant's asks for his assistance in determining how his elderly sister came to be sitting in her basement bathroom, fully clothed and dry, yet dead of drowning. With a directive to clear this matter up in short order and prepare for a load of new case assignments, Bryant and May become immersed (sometimes literally so) in the rising underground waters of London's lost rivers, searching for clues both ancient and modern to what becomes a series of peculiar deaths in a single street in Kentish town. The plot is a bit overwrought, and in my opinion there is no way the reader can come up with anything like the solution to the mysteries. It depends too much on esoteric knowledge of London's "missing rivers" and underground engineering, the explanation of which overwhelmed the story at times. Then there's the obscure Victorian artist thrown in for good measure. I'll read at least one more of these, as I really enjoy the interplay of the characters; they are laugh-out-loud funny at times. But another complex plot like this, that requires one of the last chapters to be entitled "Mr Bryant Explains It All For You", will probably be the end.
Review written May 2016 ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | May 31, 2016 |

Christopher Fowlerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duha, OndřejTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grzegorzewski, PiotrTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Шульгат, АнныTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Home is a name, a word, it is a stong one; stronger than magician ever spoke, or spirit ever answered to, in the strongest conjuration. - Charles Dickens
A little water clears us of this deed. - Macbeth
To Kath - WAAF conscript, greyhound-staduim cashier, legal secretary, debt collector, charity worker, critic, mother, friend - because everyone has a story.
Arthur Bryant looked out over London and remembered.
Of course, we're virtually the only members of the British police force to have actually read a novel, which places us at a disadvantage. If you're in public service, it never pays to reveal a sense of imagination.

How can an elderly recluse drown in a chair in her otherwise dry basement? That’s what John May and Arthur Bryant of London’s Peculiar Crimes Unit set out to discover in a city rife with shady real estate developers, racist threats, dodgy academicians, and someone dangerously obsessed with Egyptian mythology. Linking them all is an evil lurking in London’s vast and forgotten underground river system—a killer with the eerie ability to strike anywhere, anytime, without leaving a clue. It’s a subterranean case of secrets, lies, and multiple murder that defies not only the law, but reason itself. Can Bryant and May bring a killer to the surface and stop the dark tide of murder before it pulls them under, too?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:20 -0400)

How can an elderly recluse drown in a chair in her otherwise dry basement? That's what John May and Arthur Bryant of London's Peculiar Crimes Unit set out to discover in a city rife with shady real estate developers, racist threats, dodgy academicians, and someone dangerously obsessed with Egyptian mythology.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,967,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible