The Raft by Jim LaMarche

The Raft

by Jim LaMarche

I liked a number of things about The Raft. An often overlooked point is that Nicky’s dad was a working and most likely single parent. Spending the summer with his grandmother was not about his father wanting him to have the experience, it was a necessity. Next, I feel as though this book showed what many of us know: being miserable is a choice. At the beginning of the book Nicky does not want to enjoy his time at his grandmother’s river house and purposefully chooses not to do tasks as she instructs him. When things don’t work out he calls fault to his grandmother and the situation, not his own actions. When Nicky sees that he is somewhere special that has so much to offer him if he will look for it, he experiences growth not only as a person, but in his relationship with his grandmother. While I feel that this book had some nice points to it, overall this did not feel like a book I would reach for with my students for a few reasons: the pacing was slow and made it hard to stay engaged, the story felt like it had been done before, and the character growth seemed really abrupt. ( )
  lharri41 | Feb 14, 2019 |
"The Raft" by Jim LaMarche is a story of a boy who is forced to spent the summer with his Grandmother. He is unhappy but soon learns that with nature and imagination there's a lot he can do. I loved to see Nicky connect with nature and his grandmother through the author's dialogue. Additionally, with the use of inner dialogue we see a growing love for nature and understanding as the boy adventures down the river on his raft.

Reading Level: 2-4 ( )
  emay3 | Feb 14, 2019 |
Realistic Fiction. I would use this book in my classroom to differentiate between fiction and realistic fiction, and also for setting identification, character identification, and vocabulary development.
  Shelby-L | Sep 26, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 6, 2017 |
I really liked this picture book, it is a relatable interesting story full of adventure. In the beginning of the story Nicky was devastated, his grand Mom "doesn't even have a tv!" And hes about to be spending the summer at her house. Nicky finds out their are cooler things than TV when a raft floats up to him on the river. Young Nicky learns the ways of the river, start reading to find out how ( )
  Jgay2 | Feb 21, 2017 |
For Susan Pearson
Thanks for your help through the bends and shallows
"There's nobody to play with," I complained.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064438562, Paperback)

Imagine passing a summer drifting up and down a slow-moving river, watching as cranes, turtles, raccoons, otters, and ducks grow accustomed to your presence. Envision days spent poling the raft through lily pads and grasses, glimpsing foxes through the trees on shore. On hot, sticky nights, picture a tent set up on the raft, from which you have an unobstructed view of huge bucks drinking from the moonlit river. Nicky has no idea what he's getting into when his father drops him off for the summer at his grandmother's cottage in the woods. And he's not especially pleased at the prospect. "There's nobody to play with ... She doesn't even have a TV." But this "river rat" is not the normal kind of grandma. Without pushing, she quietly allows Nicky to discover for himself the wonders of river life. Gradually, Nicky's interest in drawing the wildlife he sees brings him closer to his artist grandmother, and to an inner peace that looks as though it will last for a lifetime.

Jim LaMarche draws on his own childhood summer experiences for this lovely, serene story. As the light and weather change through the summer, the river reflects all the beauty of the season. LaMarche has illustrated many remarkable and award-winning picture books, including the magical Little Oh and The Rainbabies. (Ages 4 to 9) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:26:18 -0400)

Reluctuant Nicky spends a wonderful summer with Grandma who introduces him to the joy of rafting down the river near her home and watching the animals along the banks.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,339,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible