Brian's Winter by Gary Paulsen

Brian's Winter

by Gary Paulsen

Series: Brian Robeson (3)

3.5 stars

In “Hatchet”, 13(?)-year old Brian is stranded in the Canadian North after a plane crash. What if winter had come and he was still there? This looks at Brian trying to survive the winter on his own.

I listened to the audio and enjoyed it. It looks like I rated the first two books 4 stars each, but on thinking back, I feel like “Hatchet” should have been 4 stars and “The River” probably 3.5, same as this one. In any case, it was interesting to see the kinds of things Brian had to do/learn in order to survive over the winter. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 11, 2019 |
All of the books in the Hatchet series are worth reading or listening to, but this was my least favorite. The character of Brian Robeson, just didn't seem true to the original. There is an incident in the story that both my son and I looked at each other shaking our head thinking, "he wouldn't have done that!" And it put a chink in the story, but it is still good. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
i gave this book a 5 star rating. I gave it this because the book was very well written. The book in explain in depth how Brian felt at times and made you feel as if you are there. This book explained things many books fail to explain. It showed me always how he felt and what he saw. When danger was near the book really made you fell it. The book over all was very good at explaining the situation and what he saw.
I felt as if this book was one of the best I have read. It was very emotional and adventures. It showed how he overcame everyday things. The book made me realize how much humans in general undervalue food. In the woods he had to fight for every meal, and sometimes didn't get it. This book has really been something amazing. ( )
  EvanL.B3 | Feb 8, 2018 |
Enjoyed the re-make of what happened during the winter months of Brian's survival.

Boys enjoyed learning, and living through the winter of snow, hunger and survival. ( )
  Sonya.Contreras | May 21, 2017 |
Great survival story, read it in one evening. I read Hatched over 8 years ago so Brian's Winter was like diving back into the story of survival in the Canadian wilderness. ( )
  PlanCultivateCreate | May 15, 2017 |

Gary Paulsenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thomas, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fall came on with a softness, so that Brian didn't realize what was in store--a hard-spined north woods winter--until it was nearly too late.
Originally published in USA as: Brian's Winter. Republished in UK as: Hatchet: Winter.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440227194, Mass Market Paperback)

In Hatchet, 13-year-old Brian Robeson learned to survive alone in the Canadian wilderness, armed only with his hatchet. Finally, as millions of readers know, he was rescued at the end of the summer. But what if Brian hadn't been rescued? What if he had been left to face his deadliest enemy--winter?

Gary Paulsen raises the stakes for survival in this riveting and inspiring story as one boy confronts the ultimate test and the ultimate adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

Instead of being rescued from a plane crash, as in the author's book Hatchet, this story portrays what would have happened to Brian had he been forced to survive a winter in the wilderness with only his survival pack and hatchet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,693,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible