Space Captain Smith (2008)

by Toby Frost

19018115,191 (3.19)24
Isambard Smith begins his first adventure as arachnoid stormtroopers of the evil Ghast Empire threaten to dominate the British Space Empire on twenty-fifth century Earth.

Tries to hard to be funny. I believe it would work better as a short story rather then a novel ( )
  Eclipse777 | Jun 27, 2021 |
I was looking forward to reading this after reading the blurb and a few reviews. It's jolly good fun and exciting stuff, now for a cup of tea. ( )
  sundowneruk | Feb 2, 2016 |
A rollicking, humorous (albeit juvenile) space adventure! First in a series. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Just because you have a way with a gag it doesn't mean that you're excused from the requirement to deliver a bit of character development with your farce. Part of the problem is that I suspect that this story would work better as a graphic novel, where there would be an illustrated component to portray the emotional element that Frost is not really providing. Not to totally slam the walnut with a hammer, I suspect that another issue here is that I'm just a little too old for this sort of thing. Let's put it this way; I used to like Ron Goulart (another purveyor of satirical SF) back in the Seventies, but a few years ago I tried to reread him with no success. ( )
  Shrike58 | Jul 28, 2015 |
It was ok, really. You will most likely enjoy this book if you alFinishedy like action comedies and using the words "romp" and "tongue in cheek".

I don't, really, so I didn't. The British Space Empire parts were a fun premise, but the cardboard characters didn't deliver, for me. Also, I didn't get all the pop culture references, which I didn't think mattered that much, though. I don't think that pop culture references alone don't necessarily make things funny. The humour also wasn't always right for me- I don't think "does my butt look big in this?" is always funny, for one.

I don't like books that are trying hard to be funny, and this one did in occasions. The unrealistic action scenes were funny, but too over-the-top, some of the main character's convictions on being right about things like the inferiority of female characters and entities or their role weren't dealt with as funnily as the author may have intended. Complex characters this book doesn't have, but I still found myself caring about them enough to finish the book. ( )
  Mothwing | Jan 4, 2015 |
The author does know his Science Fiction, and it's fun to play spot-the-reference as you read along. The plot (and there is a plot for the humour to hang of, a pleasant surprise) moves briskly along and the action spices things up nicely.

Belongs to Series

For Carole and Graham
One dull Tuesday morning, the door opened behind Isambard Smith and Mr Khan entered the room. Smith stopped typing and looked round.

Myrmidon Books

An edition of this book was published by Myrmidon Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,131,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible