The Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk (1940)

by Carolyn Keene

Series: Nancy Drew (17)

A brass-bound trunk mistakenly delivered to Nancy's cabin on a New York-bound ocean liner becomes the first clue leading her to suspect that international jewel thieves are aboard.

An okay mystery, but automatic one-star reduction for cultural appropriation. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
I absolutely loved Nancy Drew growing up. This was a series I latched on to for dear life and never let go. Anytime my mom and I would go to antique stores, we'd peruse the Nancy Drews and add them to the collection (oftentimes my mom had to make deals with me on how many I could buy). So, while I don't remember the exact details of each and every one, the entire series was amazing and really fed my love for reading (especially novels full of suspense and mystery). Thank you, Carolyn Keene, for giving us an intelligent female character to fall in love with in Nancy Drew! ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
#17 From the moment Nancy Drew boards an ocean liner leaving for New York, she becomes involved in a new and dangerous mystery. A man on the pier gestures to someone on board in sign language. BEWARE OF NANCY DREW AND NE, he signals. Who is NE? Can it be Nelda Detweiler, a young woman who shares a cabin with Nancy, Bess, and George? Mystery and intrigue follow the girls across the ocean; but with her usual ingenuity Nancy solves the mystery and defeats her enemies before the ship reaches New York. ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 22, 2017 |
Not as cheesy nor boring as others in the series. ( )
  Ayanami_Faerudo | Jul 5, 2017 |
Okay, it's definitely dated and the language is a bit stilted but the mystery kept me guessing which actually surprised me. I think it's target age range would still enjoy this. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |

Carolyn Keeneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tandy, Russell H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nancy Drew swung her tennis racket into a corner of the front hall.
This is the original version, in which Nancy sails to Buenos Aires. Please do not combine with the revision in which Nancy sails to New York.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 156,967,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible