Who on Earth Is Tom Baker?

by Tom Baker

Tom Baker's autobiography covers his childhood in the poor, spirited Irish community in Liverpool; his six years as a monk; his struggling times as an out-of-work actor; and onto appearances alongside Olivier at the National Theatre, work with Pasolino and his time as Doctor Who.

In Who On Earth Is Tom Baker?, Tom Baker recounts his life, beginning with a description of growing up in a poor Catholic neighborhood in Liverpool. He discusses the role religion played in his life and how he almost joined the church, it having drilled into him from a young age that he was worthless unless he served god in the organization. When he left, he felt listless for awhile before doing his national service, where the military separated the Catholics into their own regiment. He then moves on to his first marriage, further struggles with social class and his acting career, before discussing the fortuitous series of events that led to has casting on Doctor Who. He chronicles his tenure as the longest-serving Doctor, both the highs and lows as well as the way he contributed to the development of the fandom. From there, Baker discusses the struggle to redefine himself apart from Doctor Who and his relationship struggles, concluding on a note of self-effacement similar to his description of his youth in the church. Fans of Doctor Who will find some good background information here, but the book also serves as Baker’s effort to shape his legacy since he discusses his worry over an impending death both at the beginning and end. Fortunately, though Baker wrote this in 1997, he just celebrated his eighty-fourth birthday shortly prior to my finishing the book. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Feb 8, 2020 |
An average autobiography - I wanted to know more about his time as Dr Who but all the same he had lead an interesting life.
  Ben_Harnwell | Apr 26, 2015 |
He is a little hard to follow at times and I think I learned more about him then I ever wanted to know but I loved it. He is a fantastic actor and he should really give himself more credit.
  holly21 | Dec 18, 2013 |
I happen to know that Tom Baker was thrown out of The Rose Bruford School of Speech and Drama for getting a girl pregnant. I too was thrown out of that school, and I make no secret of it. The best Dr. Who actor, however, chooses not to reveal this particular truth. I wonder what else is missing from his autobiography? But a good read and, as a fellow Scouser, I appreciated reading how he was dragged up. ( )
  Philip_Lee | Apr 1, 2013 |
Comes across as a likeable old bore with some funny anecdotes - on paper, anyway. ( )
  Moomin_Mama | Feb 13, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,461,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible