The King's Confidante: The Story of the…

The King's Confidante: The Story of the Daughter of Sir Thomas More… (1954)

by Jean Plaidy

Any of the Plaidy books having to do with the British Royalty is very highly recommended! She brings the characters to life and puts you right into the middle of all the action. You will cry, laugh, gasp and go through a whole range of emotions during her page-turners. Hey, just do it. You won't be sorry and you will be all the wiser in the end. ( )
  ejgrogan | Mar 20, 2011 |
Even before I developed my obsession with Tudor England, I had a keen interest in Sir Thomas More. He’s always been a historical figure that stood out to me – someone that dared to openly defy King Henry VIII, fully knowing the consequences of doing so? That’s an admirable and curious man in my book. So when I realized that Plaidy, one of my favorite historical authors, wrote a book focusing on More’s life, I had to read it.

To read the rest of my review, please visit:
http://www.dorolerium.com/?p=1164 ( )
  dorolerium | Mar 27, 2010 |
I was very excited for this book, since I love everything Tudor-related. However, I felt Plaidy undertook too much in this book, and as a result, we are left with a very superficial take on Thomas More's life.

Part of the problem stemmed from Plaidy's attempt to delve into the psyches of too many characters--Katherine, Thomas More, Queen Katherine, Jane, Alice, King Henry VIII, to name some. Such treatment leaves little room for character development, and I was never left with the impression of a fully developed character.

At times, the narrative seemed awkward. The style vacillated between very proper, "thou" and "thees" to more relaxed, improper style; there seemed to be no rhyme or reason between the vacillations.

Overall, I did not feel this book presented other viewpoints from the Tudor era. There are better written, more developed books over the Tudors out there. The idea of such a book from More's viewpoint is intruiging--but alas, we weren't given that with [The King's Confidante]. ( )
  amandacb | Mar 8, 2010 |
With love to Enid and John Leigh-Hunt
"And who is this man who dares oppose us?" demanded the King.
"And who is this man who dares oppose us?," demanded the King.
T'was a brave act I'll grant you; but there is a point in human nature where bravery may be called folly and folly, bravery.
Originally published as St. Thomas' Eve (1954); republished as The King's Confidante (2009).

The inimitable Plaidy continues her Novels of the Tudors by taking readers into the life of Sir Thomas More, a man torn between devotion to religion and duty to state.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,508,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible