Folly (2001)

by Laurie R. King

Series: Folly Island (1)

Tragedy and mental illness have been dark companions of Rae Newborn for more than 50 years. Her life seems to start rebuilding itself, though, when she moves to a deserted island to restore the house her mysterious great-uncle built in the 1920s.

stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
My copy has no covers, so I had no idea what to expect. Took this as a holiday read in case I have to leave the book behind. Turned out to be an interesting read starting as a story of a mentally unstable woman who begins a building process that is not only about building a house, but also her mind and personality. Detours to family history, and towards the end the story turns into a full-on thriller. Very suprising and suspenseful, will look into the author. ( )
  Iira | Jan 13, 2019 |
Good change ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
I like Laurie R. King and her books, particularly the Mary Russell series. That said, [Folly] is my favorite by far and I read it, or listen to the audiobook, every couple of years. King paints a vivid, utterly believable story. I love the whole idea that the main character, Rae Newborn, has been to hell through grief and mental illness. She feels battered and tumbled and finally decides to make a stand. She sets off to rebuild a house on an island in the San Juan Straits. The novel is a story of reclamation on many levels. With King at the helm, the story takes interesting and suspenseful turns, and finally delivers a satisfying resolution to the plot line. ( )
  pmackey | Jun 5, 2013 |
very good! ( )
1 vote jenny.whitman | Apr 8, 2012 |

Belongs to Series

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,524,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible