Snowy Night with a Stranger (Anthology…

Snowy Night with a Stranger (Anthology 3-in-1)

by Jane Feather (Contributor)

Other authors: Sabrina Jeffries (Contributor), Julia London (Contributor)

Series: School for Heiresses (Short Story)

198None59,218 (3.4)5

Three short stories. They were all REALLY CUTE! I think I might have liked the middle one the best. I really like [b:Beauty and the Beast|41424|Beauty A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast|Robin McKinley|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1169613617s/41424.jpg|2321285]-esque stories... :) Here's the breakdown:

STORY ONE: A Holiday Gamble by Jane Feather
It was cute. An heiress stuck with her good-for-nothing guardian who wants to marry her off to a creepy friend of his... and of course, the Viscount comes and saves the day. I didn't much care for the ending. It was happy, but kind of abrupt. I felt like she could have written 5 more pages and wrapped it up nicer. Like with them getting MARRIED. Also... how is NED short for Edward? There isn't even an N in Edward! ???

STORY TWO: When Sparks Fly by Sabrina Jeffries
Another girl from the School of Heiresses. More letters between Charlotte and Michael. Will their book EVER COME OUT??? (Her website says August 2009.) ANYWAY, Ellie and family get into a carriage accident in the middle of a snow storm and have to seek refuge with the notorious "Black Baron"... *CHEESE (the good kind)* Anyway, he's all *grumble grumble grouchy grouchy* and she brings happiness back to his life. There's nothing better than that.

STORY THREE: Snowy Night with a Highlander by Julia London
I need to read more Julia London. I've read two of hers and really liked them. Anyway... umm... so Fiona has to find her brother, who's in trouble with the law, and who has fled to Scotland. So she set off to find him, and ends up in the company of a guy who she really hates. He was a friend of her brother's and slighted her when she was first out in society... EXCEPT that she doesn't know it's him... He was in a really bad fire, and has a big burn on the side of his face, so he uses the cold weather as an excuse to keep his face covered... and she totally mistakes him for a coachman or some such, and totally falls in love and I'm totally giving this away, but whatever. It's GREAT.

They were all great.

PS - Christmas stories generally drive me crazy. They're just annoying! I don't know when I became so ba-hum-bug-ish about them, but holy CRAP... so stupid. They're like super-cheese... the bad kind of cheese... like Velveeta wrapped in Kraft singles. *blegh* GROSS. I wanna throw up now. Think happy thoughts! ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
Snowy Night With A Stranger is a Anthology compiled of three stories by three great historical romance authors: Jane Feather, Sabrina Jeffries and Julia London. I haven't read anything by Jane Feather, but I have read books by Sabrina Jeffries and Julia London, and I truly loved reading this story, definitely filled my heart with the true spirit of Christmas. All three stories have a commonality throughout each story, all of them getting caught in a snow storm. The first story A Holiday Gamble is about Edward Vasey, is caught in a snowstorm, by highwaymen, and he has no other choice than to take refuge with a neighbor at Selby Hall, where he meets Georgiana, who is engaged to someone else, but all can see it is not by her own choice. There is a spark that fly's between Edward and Georgiana, and even though both of them are bound to marry other people, their love is ignited by one kiss during the magical spirit of Christmas. Having never read anything by Jane Feather, I was intrigued by this story, and once I started, I couldn't put it down, I was entranced by how these two would ever find a way to be together. I loved these two characters, they were vivid throughout all of the story, and this is the first christmas story I have read for this year, and definitely set me in the mood for the upcoming Holiday. The second story When Sparks Fly involved a story with a young woman, an heiress, who has searched for love but because she is one of the most sought after because of her money, has yet to find someone she would want to spend the rest of her life with. So traveling with her aunt and niece and nephews, they are caught in a storm, and stranded, but then are rescued by the "Black Baron" who takes them to his home until the storm passes. Martin, rumored as the "Black Baron" because of a painful accident that involved his brother, now has few servants, because of his dangerous experiments on explosive, and doesnt wish for anyone to get hurt. Martin knows that because of his work he may never find a woman to love and have a family. when he meets Elinor, whose spirit and passion about life, stirs him up in a way he never expected, he finds himself drawn to her and she starts to melt away the ice around his heart, and open up to love. I truly loved When Sparks Fly, and this was the story I read the fastest, Sabrina Jeffries, is the type of author that will draw you into a story like no author does. This story was no different, it was heart warming, passionate and filled with unexpecting adventure. Snowy Night With A Highlander Fiona Haines, is from Scotland originally, but followed her brother to London, and went into society, but never managed to fit in, because of her outspoken ways. Now her brother is lying low in Scotland, and Fiona means to find him. So she goes with a rugged highlander, who is protective but quiet, and having suffered as he is scarred, but Fiona doesn't care about that. During their journey to Scotland, a snowstorm forced them to awake a inner passion, that will open the door to true love. Julia London is a author that I enjoy reading from, but sometimes I find her books hard to read at times. This story I did read, but it started out a bit slow for me, and never really picked up the pace until the very end. Although I did enjoy the characters in this story, I found the plot was missing and there needed to be something more to draw in this reader. I was a bit disappointed with it, but it was a nice story. However as a whole, this book was a holiday treasure to read, filled with romance, adventure and mystery, and very entertaining. ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 2, 2013 |
An enjoyable, light trilogy. ( )
  snugasa | Mar 4, 2010 |
3 very readable regency novellas, however I found their classic regency flavor somewhat marred by the excellently written but fairly inappropriate (in a classic regency format sort of way) aforementioned steamy sex scenes - perhaps it was just the juxtaposition of the 3 stories and my just having finished a few Heyer re-reads. Surely I can't be past the point of enjoying a bit of well-written steam? ( )
  moekane | Jan 6, 2009 |
A Christmas anthology with three love stories by authors Jane Feather, Sabrina Jeffries, and Julia London. Sabrina Jeffries novella is a continuation of the School of Heiresses series. All three stories were very well written. Perfect for a holiday read. ( )
  phyllisd | Dec 28, 2008 |

Feather, JaneContributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jeffries, SabrinaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
London, JuliaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is an anthology.

Please do not combine with any of the individual stories.

Stories in anthology:
A Holiday Gamble by Jane Feather
When Sparks Fly by Sabrina Jeffries
Snowy Night with a Highlander by Julia London

Contains:

A Holiday Gamble by Jane Feather
When Sparks Fly by Sabrina Jeffries
Snowy Night with a Highlander by Julia London

In a trio of holiday romance tales set in Regency England and Scotland, a debutante falls for a mysterious driver, a spinster finds refuge at the home of a curmudgeonly aristocrat, and a lord meets a young lady trying to escape from home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,429,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible