The Phoenix and the Carpet (1904)

by E. Nesbit

Series: The Psammead Trilogy (2)

Five British children discover in their new carpet an egg, which hatches into a phoenix that takes them on a series of fantastic adventures around the world.
Recently added byGlenRH, HNWatts, private library, Trousdell, alexandria2021, ShannonEBrown, angelinalavergne, TheNgs, ejmw
Legacy LibrariesGraham Greene
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Following Five Children and It, The Phoenix and the Carpet is the second in the so-called Psammead Trilogy, named after 'It', the sand-fairy.
    David and the Phoenix by Edward Ormondroyd (Cecrow)

So this is a direct sequel to 'Five Children and It', so if you havn't read that, this might seem a bit odd in places.
I think i rated both books the same, this is superior in places but has a harder time trying to find reasons for things to happen and struggles to avoid repeating itself.
There's some jokes which might appeal to adults rather than kids in places so not a terrible thing if your reading it to someone.
Overall not a huge fan but entertaining enough. I listened to some of it on a very good Libravox recording by a Helen Taylor. ( )
  wreade1872 | Nov 28, 2021 |
Nesbit does a delightful job creating a modern-esque fairy tale. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
I don't remember a lot about this one, beyond the fact that I definitely read it as a kid.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
This is the sequel to Nesbit's Five Children and It that I read last month. I remembered this affectionately from a TV adaptation in the 1970s, but I must admit I didn't find this quite as engaging as its predecessor. Again, the story relies on them getting the wishes they choose wrong and ending up in various scrapes, but somehow these did not engage as much in this one. Perhaps this was partly due to there being no illustrations in my edition, which added to my enjoyment of the first novel, and of The Railway Children. All that said, still a good children's story that a reader of any age can enjoy. ( )
  john257hopper | Mar 21, 2020 |

Millar, H.R.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO HUBERT

Dear Hubert, if I ever found
A wishing-carpet lying round,
I'd stand upon it, and I'd say:
'Take me to Hubert, right away!'
And then we'd travel very far
To where the magic countries are
That you and I will never see,
And choose the loveliest gifts for you, from me.

But oh! alack! and well-a-day!
No wishing-carpets come my way,
I never found a Phoenix yet,
And Psammeads are so hard to get!
So I give you nothing fine--
Only this book, your book and mine,
And hers, whose name by yours is set:
Your book, my book, the book of Margaret!

E. NESBIT
DYMCHURCH
To
My Dear Godson
HUBERT GRIFFITH
and his sister
MARGARET
It began with the day when it was almost the Fifth of November, and a doubt arose in some breast—Robert's, I fancy—as to the quality of the fireworks laid in for the Guy Fawkes celebration.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,976,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible