Tough Boris (1994)

by Mem Fox, Kathryn Brown (Illustrator)

9618615,886 (4)1
Although he is a very tough pirate, Boris von der Borch cries when his parrots dies.

Tough Boris is everything one would expect out of a pirate in a children's book. When Boris's parrot dies, he crys. He cries because he is human and is is okay for humans to cry. This book is short and sweet and to the point. This should be an enjoyable book for young children considering the pirates, while leaving them with a message (whether they realize it or not) that it is okay to cry. ( )
  D.Chokr | Apr 1, 2020 |
A rollicking adventure about a tough pirate with a heart of gold.
  NMiller22 | Aug 20, 2019 |
It has full page illustrations with minimal text. Why the text tells a story, the illustration tell the same story and more. There is a part where his parrot dies just as a heads up if doing in a storytime. The format of the story is making a statement followed by an absolute. "Tough Boris is scruffy. All pirates are scruffy." I think it would work great when reading with a child and talking about emotions felt and expressed being all right - that everyone experiences that. ( )
  augustaspors | May 8, 2017 |
No matter what you are, male, female, pirate, etc. it is always okay to show your feelings and others should respect that. I like this book because the theme of the story is a very strong one that I agree with 100%. I think the reading age is 1st-3rd grade.
  ShaneKadrmas | May 5, 2017 |
  ShaneKadrmas | May 4, 2017 |
This is an excellent Mem Fox book. It is a good resource to talk about ones feelings and emotions. It is also a great example for repetition and word choice.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Mem Foxprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, KathrynIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
With special thanks to Allyn Johnston, Janet Green, Joe, Paul, BZ, and Eric — K. B.
For Alexia and Helen and, of course, Paul von der Borch — M. F.
For Parker, Sawyer, Will, Levi, and Amos — K. B.
Once upon a time, there lived a pirate named Boris von der Borch.

Boris von der Borch is a mean, greedy old pirate--tough as nails, through and through, like all pirates. Or is he? When a young boy sneaks onto Boris's ship, he discovers that Boris and his mates aren't quite what he expected.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,865,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible