The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey

The Fairy Godmother (2004)

by Mercedes Lackey

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (Alliebadger)
    Into the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: For the "fairy tale taking control" theme, which seems rather unusual in and of itself, both of these books qualify.
    Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story by Carolyn Turgeon (generalkala)

English (58)  German (1)  All languages (59)
I enjoyed this story and the world it's built in. It was just slightly slow in the beginning but not in a bad way. It was necessary to see the history of Elena before she became a Godmother. But it does make it seem a little like two books in one. I really enjoy the aspect of The Tradition and what that makes for the story here. I didn't catch all the fairy-tale references but I'll go see if I can figure them out now. Similar to Lackey's other stories in the fact that there's always a happy ending and nothing too terrible happens, but different from what I'm used to from her as well. Enjoyable. ( )
  Kassilem | May 7, 2016 |
In the same tradition as [a:Gregory Maguire|7025|Gregory Maguire|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1196015404p2/7025.jpg], starts off very like [b:Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister|18943|Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister|Gregory Maguire|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167164034s/18943.jpg|1758112] but follows the story of the Fairy Godmother rather than Cinderella or her stepsisters. Fun, beautifully imagined mix of classic fairytale and creative fantasy that manages to stop short of being cliche. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
An interesting twist on my favorite fairy tale - I just couldn't get into it :-/ ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |
As I enjoy retold Fairy Tales, particular those with a twist, this seemed like just my sort of story. And for the most part, it was. I enjoyed Lackey's world building, the idea of The Tradition, and the way it shapes the 500 Kingdoms. Elena is a pleasing main character - strong, smart, and feminine without being whiny or bitchy. She was clever and wise in how she handled the issues she confronted. I very much enjoyed the progress of the Prince, and what she did to him. And the love story was well-done, the magic seemed to make sense, and the secondary characters had depth and humor. It did have some flaws - some events were drawn out too long while other things were just glossed over. It left the story feeling slightly lopsided. And the sex scenes took me by surprise - way more graphic that I was anticipating and they added very little to the story. Despite these minor things, over all, this was a fun read and an excellent addition to my fairy tale collection. ( )
  empress8411 | Aug 16, 2015 |
ever read and liked fairy tales? Not the Disneyfied limited versions but the real ones? where the characters really suffered before the happy ending (if they had one). What happens if Cinderella's prince is a 10 year old boy or doesn't exist? Why does the fairy god mother not intervene until the end? This book answers your questions with a wonderful twist and brings up fairy tales that haven't been popularized yet. ( )
  karidrgn | Jul 6, 2015 |
Dedicated to the members of the FDNY, lost 9/11/01
This is not the way to spend a beautiful spring morning!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373802455, Mass Market Paperback)

From the bestselling author of the Heralds of Valdemar series comes an enchanting novel.

In the land of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, if you can't carry out your legendary role, life is no fairy tale. . .

Elena Klovis was supposedto be her kingdom's Cinderella--until fate left her with a completely inappropriate prince! So she set out to make a new life for herself. But breaking with "The Tradition" was no easy matter--until she got a little help from her own fairy godmother. Who promptly offered Elena a most unexpected job. . .

Now, instead of sleeping in the chimney. She has to deal with arrogant, stuffed-shirt princes who keep trying to rise above their place in the tale. And there's one in particular who needs to be dealt with. . .

Sometimes a fairy godmother's work is never done. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:58 -0400)

In the mystical realm of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, the newest Fairy Godmother tries to help three impossible princes find the women of their dreams, while fending off an evil sorcerer who is determined to destroy her kingdom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,786,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible