Seeker's Mask by P. C. Hodgell

Seeker's Mask (1994)

by P. C. Hodgell

Series: Chronicles of the Kencyrath (3)

Book 3 of the Chronicles of the Kencyrath and they are getting better. Torisen, Jame's brother, is still a far more compelling person, as are many of the other people around Jame. But often the pivotal character, since they appear to be swept up in a Destiny (with a capital D) seem less dynamic. My main complaint is that Jame really doesn't eat or sleep enough. Seriously, it gets tiresome. In this story Jame is relegated to the Women's world where they all wear masks (even with one another) and they swear by one set of rules (be quiet and subordinate) and yet the matriarchs of each family group are anything but. Since Jamethiel's betrayal women have been increasingly sidelined and squashed but as far as Jame (and I agree) can see all it has done is make a pressure-cooker from where, perhaps, many of the current Kencyrath troubles arise. There are still some awkwardnesses, here and there, and I do better when I don't think too much about the almost inconsistencies (such as the abundance of very powerful women and women soldiers who don't wear masks or silly outfits in which they can barely walk). I am still confused too about the levels and degrees of the Kencyrath "shanir" with special powers, why some are "good" and some "bad" but maybe I'll figure it out one of these days. I think Hodgell knows, but somehow it hasn't quite come across, or I missed something. The story is lively and original and I'm sufficiently into it to be fully committed. **** ( )
1 vote sibyx | May 29, 2018 |
Jame is left with the Matriarchs and her twin's unwelcome term consort and all does not, as could have been predicted, go smoothly. An attack by assassins sets off the story which has people and buildings flowing hither and thither on the weirding fogs. The strange and incongruous is much more smoothly handled in this third volume though some of the important bits still have to be dug up for this reader with a tendency to skim, The humor has improved though it sometimes seems sitcom, yes we know it's going to happen, slapstick. ( )
1 vote quondame | Apr 26, 2018 |
You know, while I'm enjoying these books overall, I'm also confused as heck. Something that is given 1 or 2 sentences in a previous book suddenly takes on a larger and more important role. But it isn't written for us the reader to make that transition easily. Instead, Hodgell writes in this confusing, round a bout manner that is starting to infuriate me. I am finding that these books ALMOST seem to be written for the re-reader and not the initial reader.

That being said, I did enjoy this. There are times where Jame does/says/thinks something that just makes me laugh out loud. Lots of action, adventure and drama. It is just that things aren't fleshed out for us. Which is why I think a re-read in 10 years time will do wonders for my attitude towards this author. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
A sequel to "God Stalk" and "Dark of the Moon," "Seeker's Mask" is definitely the best of the three - one can definitely see Hodgell really finding her stride, and moving ahead with both characterization and plot.
At the outset of this book, Jame has finally found her brother, Torisen, but unfortunately, he really doesn't know what to do with her. Having grown up partly in the sinister realm of Perimal Darkling and then as apprentice thief and tavern dancer, Jame is far from the typical meek and obedient highborn Kencyr lady. Regardless, Tori has her escorted to the women's quarters – and tries to forget about her. Unfortunately, not only does Jame not fit in socially, the women's quarters are also home to her brother's consort, noblewoman of an enemy house. But the jealous and bitter Kallistyne may be one of the more minor dangers awaiting Jame, as old blood feuds awaken. Soon Jame is on the run, in a danger-filled quest of self-discovery and family reconciliation, where, of course, the fate of worlds may hang in the balance. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

P. C. Hodgellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gould, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

for Teddington Weir, who was and always will be Jorin, and for Romney Marsh, and for Melinda.
"The first duty of a Highborn lady is obedience."

The long-sought third book in P.C. Hodgell's intricate and engaging fantasy series follows the warrior-magician Jame as she battles enemies both in and out of the Womens' Halls at Gothregor.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:41 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,184,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible