Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage: Stories (2001)

by Alice Munro

A collection of short fiction explores the complexities of human relationships and emotions in stories about a housekeeper entering old-maidhood whose life is transformed by a practical joke and a lifelong philanderer who finds the tables turned.
    Away from Her [2006 film] by Sarah Polley (TheLittlePhrase)
    TheLittlePhrase: away from her is based on alice munro's story " the bear went over the mountain"

English (42)  Italian (5)  Swedish (4)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (56)
Short stories by a master. This collection features stories about man-woman relationships, as the title suggests. Some of the stories have unexpected and delightful endings. All of them are rich with detail and humanity. ( )
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
I guess after a while there isn't really anything you can say about Munro's work. I thought this is by far and away the best I've read so far, but although 22 of my friends on GR have read it, they haven't written a word between them on it.

Pretty much how I feel too. Same, same, same, but better! I'm guessing, from the random order I've read these in, that she had a period of really good preceded and succeeded by something less than that. One thing that strikes me as odd about my relationship to her books is that nothing ever stands out for me.

Rest here:

http://alittleteaalittlechat.wordpress.com/2014/08/22/hateship-friendship-courts... ( )

bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
Each story is a mini novel, centering usually on a character looking back on her life and the way a particular person, usually someone more on the fringe than the character, impacted the course of her life. I love the way her characters represent their younger selves -- I love when authors are simultaneously able to convey two voices for the same character. No need for me to say it, but Alice Munro is a true master. ( )
  nancyjean19 | Jun 3, 2020 |

Alice Munroprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rutten, KathleenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Hateship , friendship, courtship, loveship, marriage : stories was reissued with the title Away from her in 2007. (The collection contains Alice Munro's short story The bear came over the mountain which was later made into the motion picture Away From Her).

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,931,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible